Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

1st Marines Scout-Sniper Stiletto! Guadalcanal

Article about: This one belonged to my grandfather MstrSgt Frank L. Few 1st Marine Division, 5th Regiment. It's well known the stiletto was issued to the Marine Raiders however they were also issued to Sco

Default 1st Marines Scout-Sniper Stiletto! Guadalcanal

This one belonged to my grandfather MstrSgt Frank L. Few 1st Marine Division, 5th Regiment.

It's well known the stiletto was issued to the Marine Raiders however they were also issued to Scout-Sniper companies of the 1st Marine Division.

Frank was best known as last remaining survivor of the ill fated Goettge patrol 12th Aug 1942. Not long after the patrol he continued as 5th Regiment photographer and scout-sniper stationed on Guadalcanal up until November 1942. I recall reading an article where he states was assigned to an outpost on the Canal at which time he was about 2,000 yds in front of Marines advanced position "Boy i was scared the worst in my life out there so alone".

He was a leather-work/craftsman hence the personal ornate patterning added to the sheath.

It's got some pretty gnarly zinc blooming which seems to have ceased so i'll leave that alone for now (hesitant to touch with petroleum jelly treatment).

MAP
    ?

If there is zinc pest. Then I would certainly not wait to put on some Vaseline.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

An excellent piece for your collection, handed down from family!
    Unfortunately, these are known for the failure of the material used to cast them.
    It is difficult to find an example without deterioration on them. I know, I've been looking for the right one for some time now.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Very nice knife. Definitely worth researching how to stabilise it so that it doesn’t deteriorate further (the sheath looks like it could do with some leather feed). Normally I don’t like to mess with the bits that I have, however, as already mentioned, these knives have a tendency to deteriorate.

Welcome to the forum.
    That's a wonderful knife a great family heirloom.
    Like Ralph, I've been looking for a solid example that I could afford for many years.

Of all of my knives, I own only one commemorative knife and that is a Marine Raider stiletto.
    Only because originals are so hard to come by.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Hi gents, thanks for your feedback, much appreciated.

Despite appearance the casting is still quite solid and hasn't bloomed further in the past 30 years so i suspect it may have finished it's cycle, it hasn't been kept in any sort of stabilised environment either. My only concern with the PJ treatment is that i fear it may lead to further deterioration due to saturation/absorption expansion kind of like dried clay absorbing water i guess. If anyone knows of an article or video on the process that would be great!

Cheers

Will

Will,

First, welcome to the forum..

This is a remarkable piece.

2nd: I would like to suggest as a museum curator that you try to reach out the National Museum of the Marine Corps

The Arms and Armor Curator, Jon Bernstein may be able to provide some information for you regarding conservation..

Here is the main number (703) 432-1775..... They should be able to direct your call...

Jon moved from the Artillery and Air Defense Artillery Museum at Ft Sill, OK to NMMC a few years ago. He is a great guy, full of knowledge. We worked together several years ago when I was Curator at the US Army NCO Museum at Ft Bliss, TX on a weapon transfer from his museum to mine...

Hope this helps,

Smitty

I forgot to add...

Here is an interesting conservation project that the Marine Museum just completed, for a M1 Rifle that was used during the Makin Island raid and found in 1999.

1942 Makin Island Raid M1 Rifle Conserved - FIREARMS - U.S. Militaria Forum

Smitty

Hi Smitty,

Excellent advice, unfortunately as i live in Australia phone calls won't be the best form of contact for me so I've just sent John an email.

That's excellent work on the M1, if they ever find a Reising at the Matanikau it might be grandpas and would certainly have jammed round in the chamber!

Grandpa was almost able to bring his .45 ACP here when settling in Australia but it was confiscated at customs. Now that would have been a nice relic to have.

Thanks mate

Will