Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Another Suspect British Sword

Article about: Hello everyone, A little while back I posted a British sword that turned out to be a reproduction being portrayed as an original piece. Knowing the gentleman, who has since become a friend o

Default Another Suspect British Sword

Hello everyone, A little while back I posted a British sword that turned out to be a reproduction being portrayed as an original piece. Knowing the gentleman, who has since become a friend of mine, I was asked to consign a few pieces as he is downsizing his collection. British militaria is not one of the areas I am familiar with...a bit ironic as I am half Welsh.

The first piece being a repro gave me an uneasy feeling, so I thought I would post the second piece for opinions from my friends on the forum. I am always willing to learn something new and would rather politely decline doing a consignment than perpetuate the increasing number of fakes making the rounds as originals with fake aging.

Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated!

Regards, Geoff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another Suspect British Sword   Another Suspect British Sword  

Another Suspect British Sword   Another Suspect British Sword  

Geoff your friend has been tapping a dodgy vein, as this is another reproduction. Manton was a high quality sword maker, with some blades supplied by Wilkinson. They had a business in London and India to serve the British Raj era, with Manton swords for the Indian Army marked "Manton of Calcutta", so the brand is well know in India.
    In recent years reproductions marked as Manton & Co, England have be in circulation, probably made in India.
    Now on to this sword, really poor quality is my overall comment, poor finish and the etching is particularly bad and poorly aligned. No King George cypher on guard, but one suggested on blade etching (poorly formed). Not a sword I would want.
    Authentic Manton sword below.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Geoff your friend has been tapping a dodgy vein, as this is another reproduction. Manton was a high quality sword maker, with some blades supplied by Wilkinson. They had a business in London and India to serve the British Raj era, with Manton swords for the Indian Army marked "Manton of Calcutta", so the brand is well know in India.
    In recent years reproductions marked as Manton & Co, England have be in circulation, probably made in India.
    Now on to this sword, really poor quality is my overall comment, poor finish and the etching is particularly bad and poorly aligned. No King George cypher on guard, but one suggested on blade etching (poorly formed). Not a sword I would want.
    Authentic Manton sword below.
    Agreeing with Anderson, while there are multiple "issues" - one of first things that I look at with those reproductions are the grips. Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Another Suspect British Sword