Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders officers highland dirk.

Article about: For those unaware the Highland Dirk was originally a weapon worn as a sidearm with the kilt. In more recent times it has become a formal ceremonial or dress item worn in full highland dress

Default Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders officers highland dirk.

For those unaware the Highland Dirk was originally a weapon worn as a sidearm with the kilt.
    In more recent times it has become a formal ceremonial or dress item worn in full highland dress (ie with a kilt) by officers and pipers of Scottish regiments.

Officers dirks are typical far more ornate and therefore expensive (traditionally officers have tended to buy their own) and usually include a small knife and fork mounted on the scabbard which was originally intended for eating in the field.

This one is fully silver mounted and hallmarked for Edinburgh 1923. The stones are Cairngorms which are a variety of Citrine (a yellow quartz group crystal) which originate in the Cairngorm Mountains of Scotland. Some dirks do have citrines from other sources but the difference is in the noticeably darker and more orange / brown hue of the Cairngorm versus the lighter more yellow citrine. The use of Cairngorms puts the dirk at the "high end" of the range.

The makers name of Brooks & Son is that of the silversmith who made the silver mounts and produced the final product using a blade made by an appropriate cutler. I this case although the blade bears the name Brooks the cutler would appear to be Henry Wilkinson from the six pointed star logo containing the initials HW. The star was first used in UK by Wilkinson in conjunction with the "proof slug / disc" on swords etc. This dirk does not have a proof slug because it is a ceremonial item not intended for combat use, hence the initials instead. The star logo does predate Wilkinson's use and is seen on edged weapons all over the world used as a generic indicator of quality (true or otherwise!).

This one has an etched regimental blade which was an optional extra (at significant cost) .for the discerning officer.

The two mottoes on the scabbard mounts are;

"Sans peur" meaning "without fear" which is the motto of Clan Sutherland.
    and
    "Ne obliviscarius" meaning "do not forget" which is from Clan Campbell.

It is in remarkable condition for being 100 years old and I was very pleased to acquire it. I am sure that at the end of the year it will certainly be my "best of the year" piece.

All comments are welcome and I hope you like it as much as I do.

Regards

MarkArgyll and Sutherland Highlanders officers highland dirk.Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders officers highland dirk.Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders officers highland dirk.Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders officers highland dirk.Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders officers highland dirk.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders officers highland dirk.   Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders officers highland dirk.  

Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders officers highland dirk.   Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders officers highland dirk.  

Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders officers highland dirk.   Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders officers highland dirk.  

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Sorry double post!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders officers highland dirk.   Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders officers highland dirk.  

Last edited by Watchdog; 01-20-2023 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Repetition!
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Outstanding dirk Mark. The quality of the silver work is "top shelf" and the etched blade certainly looks like Wilkinson's work. A prized possession of all who have owned it I would think. Thanks for showing us.