Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders officers highland sgian dubh.

Article about: The sgian dubh originates as a small weapon usually concealed and as a small utility knife worn as part of traditional Scottish highland dress. In military units it has traditionally been ma

Beautiful piece Mark, and one can ponder on the original owner being so proud to carry this upon his person.

I have no knowledge of these dirks what so ever, but I must say that it is
    a beautiful piece. Congratulations.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Why aren't you one of them?

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Why aren't you one of them?

I could easily have been as A&SH were always my preferred Scottish regiment. Although born in England (As was Lt Col "Mad" Mitchell of Aden fame) as it turns out I have 33% Scots DNA and I remember as a boy being enthralled by the tales of the Aden emergency as well as being a fervent supporter of the 1971 "Save the Argylls" campaign that was very prevalent in my home area of Lancashire and England as a whole at the time of the Governments disgraceful scheme to disband them and get rid of Mitchell because of his actions in Aden.
    As it goes I ended up joining the Parachute Regiment followed the the Royal Military Police, neither of which was a bad choice! However, it has been said that I "have the legs for a kilt", never too sure if that was a compliment

Regards

Mark

PS Pub quiz trivia - because of the tassels on their sporrans the A&SH are known as "The swinging six"
    Last edited by Watchdog; 02-11-2023 at 02:17 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2