Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Australian Owen gun bayonet for review

Article about: Hello all, Here are some photos of my latest acquisition, an Australian Owen gun bayonet which is a copy of the P1907 with a shorter blade. I'd never really considered getting one of these b

?

Default Australian Owen gun bayonet for review

Hello all,

Here are some photos of my latest acquisition, an Australian Owen gun bayonet which is a copy of the P1907 with a shorter blade. I'd never really considered getting one of these but I was at a dealer's place, saw it and fell in love. Made by Orange Arsenal with Slazenger grips and a Mangrovite scabbard all are 1944 construction. The bayonet and scabbard appear unissued however the frog is pretty beaten up. The scabbard is marked with a broad arrow over T.F. I have no idea what the T.F stands for. I've never seen one of these before and would appreciate if someone can verify it's authenticity.

Thanks
    Alex
    Australian Owen gun bayonet for reviewAustralian Owen gun bayonet for reviewAustralian Owen gun bayonet for reviewAustralian Owen gun bayonet for reviewAustralian Owen gun bayonet for reviewAustralian Owen gun bayonet for reviewAustralian Owen gun bayonet for reviewAustralian Owen gun bayonet for reviewAustralian Owen gun bayonet for reviewAustralian Owen gun bayonet for reviewAustralian Owen gun bayonet for reviewAustralian Owen gun bayonet for reviewAustralian Owen gun bayonet for reviewAustralian Owen gun bayonet for review

?

Almost an insult to an already butt ugly gun, to add that heavy bayonet instead of a spike, thus making the Owen nose heavy to boot.

Dont know about the TF marking, but Mangrovite is the Mangrovite Belting Ltd. leather company.

?

I have to agree that it wasn't the prettiest of guns but it was cheap and reliable. I guess they didn't want to spend the money re tooling the arsenals to make a spike.

?

Yeah, the Owen worked just fine and having the mag on top versus sticking out to the side must have been a boon for jungle warfare. From what I gather, the users like the thing just fine.

That they didnt want to tool up for a spike might have been a reason. Or maybe they didnt want to convert or adapt current spike bayonets already in inventory - didnt the Aussies use the Smelly no.4 spike bayonet?

(though that of course was not the most popular of bayonets, I would find that more suitable for the Owen, but then I havent wielded a spike bayonet on a rifle only a 'conventional' bayonet)
    Last edited by Scout; 11-16-2013 at 09:09 AM.

?

To the best of my knowledge Australia stuck with the SMLE MkIII and didn't produce the No.4 rifle and therefore no spike bayonets. The spike probably would make a better SMG bayonet but then you're left with a bayonet without a handle which doesn't have any additional uses when not fixed.

?

Quote by Alex W View Post
    To the best of my knowledge Australia stuck with the SMLE MkIII and didn't produce the No.4 rifle and therefore no spike bayonets. The spike probably would make a better SMG bayonet but then you're left with a bayonet without a handle which doesn't have any additional uses when not fixed.
    That explains it then. Thanks for supplying that bit of info.

Yes, Id say that for SMG balance/practicality, the spike would be better for the Owen.
    As you point out, the spike is not much use on its own it having no handle per se.

AFAIK the spike was never that popular anyway.

The Owen with the cut down bayonet attached must look odd

My Owen Guns - The Owen Gun Message Board - MachineGunBoards.com Forums

But then most SMGs look weird and ungainly with bayonets on them.

I couldnt find a pic of an Owen with bayonet attached, so here is a clumsy looking Lancaster and the venerable Madsen both with bayonets (both ungainly looking IMO).
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian Owen gun bayonet for review   Australian Owen gun bayonet for review  

Attached Images Attached Images Australian Owen gun bayonet for review 

4md
    ?

Great addition Alex, very good condition as well. they are a must for Australian bayonet collectors.

AIF
    ?

Nice pick up and in great nick too!! The TF is just the inspectors stamp from the factory.

?

Thanks guys for your comments. I like the look of the Lancaster, I guess because it reminds me of the MP18. It does look top heavy with the bayonet attached. IMO the Madsen is one ugly gun. It kind of reminds me of something out of a 60's sci fi movie.

?

I like the Lancaster for the same German inspired lines.
    Small wonder, that they look alike, for the Lancaster is....lets say 'heavily inspired' by the very nice MP28 which had its roots in the MP18

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast