Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Australian Whittingslowe Long Machete

Article about: Hello all, I thought some may be interested in this fairly rare Australian made Whittingslowe drop point Machete. Made in Adelaide, South Australia as this 1944 advertisement shows, the long

Default Australian Whittingslowe Long Machete

Hello all,
    I thought some may be interested in this fairly rare Australian made Whittingslowe drop point Machete.

Australian Whittingslowe Long MacheteAustralian Whittingslowe Long Machete

Made in Adelaide, South Australia as this 1944 advertisement shows, the long machete was great for hacking through the jungles of New Guinea ( where most of our blokes were engaged ) and much heavier than the alternatives ( including the bolo style.

These came with a ( quite simply made ) sheath which probably faired poorly in the jungle climate ...

Australian Whittingslowe Long MacheteAustralian Whittingslowe Long MacheteAustralian Whittingslowe Long Machete

and many were replaced with the one made for the US 1942 Boyt machete ( as mine has been ) which was MUCH sturdier in construction.

The back story to this piece is that it has been mated this way for the last 65 years - my father purchased it in the mid 1950's from a local army disposal store to cut down wild bamboo as he cleared some land - he later loaned it to a friend and never got it returned. About 10 years ago they met again and the friend said " I've still got your old machete - want it back?" Dad said, No, but my son would love it .... and here we have it, barely used and NEVER sharpened!!

Anyway, hope this is of some enjoyment to the edged weapon collectors ( even though it is a "tool" of sorts )

Cheers, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

That's a fantastic rare piece mate.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers Rick

?

Never seen one before but I like it along with the print ad. I take it these were private purchase rather than issued? Im currently trying to hunt down a Lithgow machete that hasn't been used to death but having no luck.

Alex

Quote by Alex W View Post
    Never seen one before but I like it along with the print ad. I take it these were private purchase rather than issued? Im currently trying to hunt down a Lithgow machete that hasn't been used to death but having no luck.

Alex
    Not much info about - I found about mine on a knife forum here in Oz.
    I reckon they must have been private purchase Alex - or we would be seeing a lot more of them....

Cheers, Dan

Nice one Dan, I've only just seen this one now! not so sure it being private purchase, as a bunch where on hand - like binocular's

Really? ..... I've never seen another - well there was a similar by another maker but not Whittingslowe.

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Really? ..... I've never seen another - well there was a similar by another maker but not Whittingslowe.
    Hey I meant different models

?

A Broad Arrow would solve that question.

Quote by Ubique View Post
    A Broad Arrow would solve that question.
    Hard to see - but it has one.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian Whittingslowe Long Machete  

DD solves that one, not private. I was right.