Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

British No.5 MkII Bayonet - W.S.C

Article about: I was lucky enough to pick up another No. 5 bayonet and was wondering if the scabbard and bayonet are both WWII original. I believe the bayonet is marked with the Wilkinson wartime code (S29

?

Default British No.5 MkII Bayonet - W.S.C

I was lucky enough to pick up another No. 5 bayonet and was wondering if the scabbard and bayonet are both WWII original. I believe the bayonet is marked with the Wilkinson wartime code (S294) and maybe a faint W. I can’t make out the scabbard marking apart from the small broad arrow but it looks like another S code. I have a matching S294 marked scabbard on my post war Poole marked bayonet so I’m considering swapping them but if the current scabbard is original WW2 I would keep them together.

Bonus pic of Wilkinson WW2, Poole 1946, RFI 1978, and a No.8 bayonet for the SLEM experimental rifle.

Thanks!

British No.5 MkII Bayonet - W.S.CBritish No.5 MkII Bayonet - W.S.CBritish No.5 MkII Bayonet - W.S.CBritish No.5 MkII Bayonet - W.S.CBritish No.5 MkII Bayonet - W.S.C

?

The photos aren't great but the bayonet looks ok. In saying that these have been copied and faked for years and I think were refurbished at unit level which leads to numerous variations in finish. Do you have any concerns with it? Wilkinson only produced these during ww2. The scabbard screw looks to have been replaced but the scabbard still looks to have the correct thinner throat piece as opposed to the later brass ones. I've seen S294 marked scabbards but the marking was stamped vertically not horizontally like yours.

Often reproduced, but the maker and inspection marks are often the giveaway. They should look struck not cast in the steel. For the wartime W.S.C. I would want to see marks closer to the example below. But the bend test "x" mark on the OP's example looks correct.

British No.5 MkII Bayonet - W.S.CBritish No.5 MkII Bayonet - W.S.C

?

Thank you for the replies! I think that all of these examples are original but just wanted confirmation. I bought these all well below what the market price of these are (from estate sales in larger grouping of bayonets or individually) but the only one I had concerns about initially was the RFI bayonet which appear to be the most copied version of the Mk 5. But the marking (RFI + date) and overall finish doesn’t look like the cheap reproductions which are just marked RFI. I borrowed someone’s phone to try and take better pictures of them all:

Poole

British No.5 MkII Bayonet - W.S.CBritish No.5 MkII Bayonet - W.S.CBritish No.5 MkII Bayonet - W.S.CBritish No.5 MkII Bayonet - W.S.C

WSC

British No.5 MkII Bayonet - W.S.CBritish No.5 MkII Bayonet - W.S.CBritish No.5 MkII Bayonet - W.S.C

RFI

Poole No. 8 with muzzle ring comparison
    British No.5 MkII Bayonet - W.S.CBritish No.5 MkII Bayonet - W.S.CBritish No.5 MkII Bayonet - W.S.CBritish No.5 MkII Bayonet - W.S.CBritish No.5 MkII Bayonet - W.S.C
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British No.5 MkII Bayonet - W.S.C  

?

Thank you for the replies! I think that all of these examples are original but just wanted confirmation. I bought these all well below what the market price of these are (from estate sales in larger grouping of bayonets or individually) but the only one I had concerns about initially was the RFI bayonet which appear to be the most copied version of the Mk 5. But the marking (RFI + date) and overall finish doesn’t look like the cheap reproductions which are just marked RFI. I borrowed someone’s phone to try and take better pictures of them all:

Poole

British No.5 MkII Bayonet - W.S.CBritish No.5 MkII Bayonet - W.S.CBritish No.5 MkII Bayonet - W.S.CBritish No.5 MkII Bayonet - W.S.C

WSC

British No.5 MkII Bayonet - W.S.CBritish No.5 MkII Bayonet - W.S.CBritish No.5 MkII Bayonet - W.S.C

RFI

Poole No. 8 with muzzle ring comparison