Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.

Article about: Here is my No. 5 Mk II bayonet. It is for the No. 5 Mk 1 Enfield rifle, known as the "Jungle Carbine". It was manufactured by Wilkinson Sword Company (W.S.C.). This is not to be co

British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.

Another W.S.C. No.5 MkI, Type II bayonet for the No.5 MkI Lee Enfield, MkI "Jungle Carbine" and the Sterling L2 submachine gun.

I bought the bayonet years ago along with this frog.
    The frog from 1954 probably goes with it, because the No. 5 Mk I was in service until at least 1960.

British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.

British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.

Quote by Reibert View Post
    ... the No. 5 Mk I was in service until at least 1960.
    Even as late as 1965 in the Rhodesian Army or as late as the late 1970's in the Indonesian Police until late 1970's, and carried by a Kenyan game warden in 2008.

No.5 Mk.I Jungle Carbine: post-WWII use – wwiiafterwwii

?

Reibert,

Your WSCs look almost mint. Ive got one that looks similar to yours. I've always thought the stamping on the rear of the ricasso looked odd (almost cast instead of stamped) compared to the WSC marking.

I recently received this "Jungle Carbine" bayonet.

Manufacturer:
    S.294
    W.S.C.

(Wilkinson Sword Company)

Manufacturer, dispersal code, stamped on the scabbard:
    S286
    (Vandenplas, London)

According to my information, Vandenplas sheaths are very rare to find.

I have also seen this coding stamped horizontally under the screw connection of the safety spring of the scabbard, as well as stamped vertically.

Is this, perhaps, an indication of the period in which the scabbard and, consequently, the bayonet itself were manufactured?

The bayonet scabbard still seems to be relatively intact. to be unused while the bayonet itself shows a rather more used condition.

But I could also be wrong here.

I would be interested in your opinions.

Thx. in advance,
    R.

British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.

British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.

British No.5 MkII - W.S.C.

?

The only No5 bayonets to be made post war were by Poole. Considering both bayonet and scabbard have war time manufacture codes S294 and S286 they are both made sometime between 1944-1945. WSC made 188,354 bayonets and Vanden Plas made 20,000 scabbards. Considering the difference in wear between the scabbard and bayonet, I would think they were mated much later.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4