Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

British Pattern 1907 Bayonet w/o Hook Questions

Article about: I picked up a nice example of a P1907 British bayonet that came with a SMLE rifle I bought a week ago. The questions I would like to ask for help with please. I have not seen the cartouche s

Default British Pattern 1907 Bayonet w/o Hook Questions

I picked up a nice example of a P1907 British bayonet that came with a SMLE rifle I bought a week ago.
    The questions I would like to ask for help with please.
    I have not seen the cartouche stamped on the wood grip panel before. It is on both grip panels. Was this done for export?
    What do the number on the side of the pommel represent? Some type of unit marking?
    The scabbard is not numbered and has the round button for the frog. When did they change to the teardrop design?
    Thank you for looking. All info and questions are appreciated.Apologies for all the technical questions but hopefully will be good for future information.
    John

British Pattern 1907 Bayonet w/o Hook QuestionsBritish Pattern 1907 Bayonet w/o Hook QuestionsBritish Pattern 1907 Bayonet w/o Hook QuestionsBritish Pattern 1907 Bayonet w/o Hook QuestionsBritish Pattern 1907 Bayonet w/o Hook Questions

?

Nice one!

From what I was reading the other night ( picked up my first example last week) The round one was introduced in November 1915 but both round and tear drop frog bits were produced for the rest of ww1. Hence the “MAY BE EMBODIED”

Also this I found when making this reply (cheers to the GREATWARFORUM) . From a Skennerton book which has this sourced from official list of changes

British Pattern 1907 Bayonet w/o Hook Questions
    Last edited by Jb4046; 09-18-2022 at 05:23 PM. Reason: Proper credit edit 2 maybe weren’t produced bang on from Nov 1915 but that’s at least the starting point

A tidy one John, late WW1 manufacture 8/18, Wilkinson of course. Enfield inspection marks on the grip plates. The pommel marks are certainly regimental, not sure which one, but 1038 would be a weapon number.