Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

British Sword Identification

Article about: I need help identifying this sword. Can anyone tell me the model and era of this sword? Thank you.

Default British Sword Identification

I need help identifying this sword. Can anyone tell me the model and era of this sword? Thank you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Sword Identification  
    Attached Images Attached Images British Sword Identification  British Sword Identification 

It's a Victorian Artillery Officer's sword, dated I would say probably to the 1880's. Hawkes & Co are military outfitters, not makers. The maker quite likely is Wilkinson, they had a business relationship, but need to see the proof slug. After 1891 Hawkes became Gieves & Hawkes.

What’s makes the sword artillery? I have seen many of these that state they are light cavalry swords.

?

Quote by KyleSchuette View Post
    What’s makes the sword artillery? I have seen many of these that state they are light cavalry swords.
    Artillery was pulled in that time by horse, so to say it is cavalry is not wrong persé but not right either. Cavalry swords are more often curved sabers because that way you could easier stick your saber in some soldier who would be a lot lower then where the cavalerist would be. A straight light sword would be more something for infantery because they had to be able to point foreward to the opposing soldiers that would run towards him or upward pointing to a cavalary soldier.

That having said a heavy cavalry soldier would also have a straight heavy sword to ram his horse and sword into the enemy as a battering ram.

Cheers,

Erik