Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Camillus "US" pocket knife

Article about: Not really "WW2" but not sure where to put this one. Picked it up at a local show today for just \\$10.00. It's dated 1997. Nice quality. A nice to be used and abused. Not sure when

MAP
    ?

Default Camillus "US" pocket knife

Not really "WW2" but not sure where to put this one.

Picked it up at a local show today for just $10.00. It's dated 1997. Nice quality. A nice to be used and abused knife. Not a shelf queen.

Not sure when this stopped being issued officially by the military but they have been made non-stop since WW2 era.

I do not think one with this late a date is military issue. Still though, made to the same standards. If anyone knows more, please let me know.

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

A nice knife for $10 Map. I would have bought it. I did not find too many things being set up at a show this weekend. The knife would have been refreshing to me.
    John

MAP
    ?

Quote by Rescue190 View Post
    A nice knife for $10 Map. I would have bought it. I did not find too many things being set up at a show this weekend. The knife would have been refreshing to me.
    John
    He had half a dozen on his table. I already picked up three Vietnam era items for $15 total (Iodine tablets, Sunburn cream and Face Paint) so he gave me a discount. So $25 for the lot was a good deal!

All the knives were gone in a few hours. I've seen blades from this era selling on ebay for $35 to $50+ (bid prices, not "buy it now"). So I think I got a good deal. Funny but one misguided soul is selling a '76 dated example on ebay for a "buy it now" price of $325.00! LoL

The show was pretty poor except for these nice little finds. But I did finally find some reasonable priced ammo which was great!

Sadly though, this knife is no longer in my possession. My son immediately took ownership of it when I got home!

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Military items have seen a bit of a revival as of late; from younger collectors to boot. Nice to see. They are starting to see the reality of things going on.
    John

MAP
    ?

Well a bit of what Phil calls Bing-Foo (or something like that) and I have what I think is my answer.

They were designated by the US military as the MIL-K-818 in 1949, and made from 1957 to 2006. In 1997 the specification for the "Knife, Pocket, General Purpose" was changed from MIL-K-818D to A-A-59100

Now, the question is if they were Military "issued" or commercially produced for sale to the soldiers as a Self Service Supply Store item. Not sure myself.

They were made by many companies but Camillus (who designated it as the model 1760) was the most prolific manufacturer. This knife was designed and conceived by Camillus who patterned it after the WW2 "Kingston" knife (they look nearly identical but have some noticeable differences up close)

An interesting note is that Camillus dated each knife from 1957 to 2006 (and there are some rare 1949 dated pre-production samples around). So a perfect knife for a "type collector" to get hooked on. Also a perfect "Birthday knife" if you can find one with your year of birth (guess I now need to start looking for mine! LoL).

Here is a nice article on them

Collecting the Model 1961 Soldier Knife, Part 4: the Camillus Model 1760, an American SAK. — Rover Haven Straps

And another on the US Military forum

Camillus Made Stainless Steel Pocketknives MIL-K-818 - EDGED WEAPONS - U.S. Militaria Forum

I remember seeing one of these in my stepdad's USAF stuff from the 1950s.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Nice one Michael,

Here's the Australian Army equivalent made by Shelham in 2001, contract Japanese made! scored it free in a set of period chest rig (seller didn't check the pockets)

MAP
    ?

Nice Rene. I like sheepfoot blades

Ha, I can beat Rene by 11 years ......

My old April 1990 version Shelham has been my personal pocket knife for the last 10 years ....

Camillus "US" pocket knifeCamillus "US" pocket knife

Lost the knife tip from years of hard work .... but the owner is a little "battle worn" too
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Nice knives gents, now I'm going to have to find one of these US pocket knives.

I've seen a few of these new US marked blacked out Victorinox soldier's knives online but I have no idea if they are actually issued kit.

My Shelham is a '96 and was in the front pouch of an Australian M9 bayonet scabbard.

Alex