Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Cogswell & Harrison Ltd London Gun Makers W1 ID Help!

Article about: Hello, I have come into posession of a ww2 looking fighting knife. The only info I have on the knife is the stamp on the blade which reads, "Cogswell & Harrison Ltd" and undern

?

Default Cogswell & Harrison Ltd London Gun Makers W1 ID Help!

Hello,

I have come into posession of a ww2 looking fighting knife. The only info I have on the knife is the stamp on the blade which reads, "Cogswell & Harrison Ltd" and underneath that "Gun Makers London W1". I have looked all over the internet and found almost nothing. However a post from a user named "Australia" from 2015 shows a page from Ron Flook's book "The London Knife Book". My knife is visible on the right hand side of the page but I can't make out the words. If anyone knows any info about my knife I would greatly appreciate it. I'll upload a photo as well as link to the thread with Australia's post.

Thanks!

Cameron

My Knife
    Cogswell & Harrison Ltd London Gun Makers W1 ID Help!

Thread with Australia's post

rare fighting knife

MAP
    ?

Looks similar but your blade is shorter and the maker mark is of a different style.

I'm sure some guys will be around to provide some help. In the meantime you can send Australia a PM (Private Message). His last post was February so I'm hopeful he will get the email notification and respond
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

You've got a rare knife there. That does appear to be the WW2 era version, the longer convex blade version from WW1 era is more known, though still very rare. I assume you don't have the leather scabbard with three rivets? Flook thought that these fighting knives were actually made by Wilkinson Sword Co. for Cogswell & Harrison, who were an old gunmaking firm, and C & H retailed them under their brand name. During WW1 C & H did sell some other trench nasties including a push knife and a dagger with brass knuckleduster grip.

?

No unfortunately I don’t have the scabbard, I was only given the knife. Thanks for your help though! Do you know if it was ever issued for combat or as a military knife?

?

I guess I should be more specific by asking to whom would this knife have been issued for combat?

They would be private purchase knives. The Imperial War Museum collection has one like the OP's, donated by a serviceman in 1945.

?

Ok thanks again for the help

Is a beauty! Interesting to discover the maker of these blades. Thanks for sharing with us.