Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Fairbairn Sykes ribbed and beaded pattern

Article about: Wondering if I could get some opinions on this Fairbairn Sykes ribbed and beaded pattern knife. I've been advised they are fairly sought after, but I've no idea how rare or desirable this pa

Default Fairbairn Sykes ribbed and beaded pattern

Wondering if I could get some opinions on this Fairbairn Sykes ribbed and beaded pattern knife.
    I've been advised they are fairly sought after, but I've no idea how rare or desirable this particular model is.
    It's the 9 row version and is marked ENGLAND, so wartime and sent overseas after the war.
    Many thanks in advance.

Hi,
    The rings and beads FS is a fairly sought after knife. The usually command a better price
    than a standard 3rd pattern knife and sometimes more than a 2nd pattern depending
    on the condition of the knives in question.

This knife IMO might have a few issues but I am not 100% sure.
    To me, there is too much difference in contrast of the grip. Not sure if that sounds right but
    the black is completely worn off the grip on the smooth areas yet the grooves are really black
    as if they have been touch up some. (although,this might just be a result of manipulation of
    the photo) Also the crossguard is heavily pitted. It was once rusted
    and then cleaned up. The blade looks brand new with no evidence of the same kind of wear
    that the crossguard and grip have. All of the cross graining is visible on the blade showing
    that it is at best a 3rd pattern blade or a blade from a post war knife. I would have expected
    the blade to be a earlier hand ground version.

Like I said, this is just some concerns that I have. This knife might be totally legit, but I do
    not think it would be one that I would add to my own collection.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

The looking online I've done showed both this blade thickness and the thicker hand ground ones that sow the flat area at the guard.
    The source of this one is someone I've known for years, but I appreciate what you say about the wear in the finish on the smooth areas.
    It's something I haven't seen in the flesh though, hence my appreciation of any input from you guys.

I don't know if this helps or not but here is mine to compare against.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fairbairn Sykes ribbed and beaded pattern  
    gregM

myself around.

Quote by harley90 View Post
    The looking online I've done showed both this blade thickness and the thicker hand ground ones that sow the flat area at the guard.
    The source of this one is someone I've known for years, but I appreciate what you say about the wear in the finish on the smooth areas.
    It's something I haven't seen in the flesh though, hence my appreciation of any input from you guys.
    I would suggest seeing it in person before or if that is not possible, buy it with the option of returning it
    after inspection. It may look way better in hand than what the photo shows.
    gregM

myself around.

Also, compare the shape and size of the butt end of the grip, and the size of the pommel nut, to Greg's example.
    Something looks off, IMO.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I agree with Greg, there is a inconsistancy between the hilt, crossbar and the blade. In fact better photos of the blade should be asked for, but I also get the sense of a blade swap with a later made blade.

So here is a link to Roy Shadbolts page on these knives that is very interesting.

Ribbed & Beaded Pattern - Variations Of The Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting Knife

It seems that machine ground blades are not uncommon. It also shows different grip shapes.
    I still stand by my first post that this knife has been freshened up.
    gregM

myself around.

Many thanks. That was the article I was actually looking at.
    I’ll speak to the guy and see what he says.