Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

French dagger? Need help

Article about: Hello, good morning everyone, I'm trying to identify this dagger, but I can't find any information about it. I think it's French, probably from the 19th century. Any information would be app

Default French dagger? Need help

Hello, good morning everyone, I'm trying to identify this dagger, but I can't find any information about it. I think it's French, probably from the 19th century. It has J G marking. Any information would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture French dagger? Need help   French dagger? Need help  

French dagger? Need help   French dagger? Need help  

I've no knowledge of French daggers but this looks to be a Masonic Templar fraternity dagger. The knight hilt is iconic of masonic templar daggers/cerimony swords, most of which were manufactured in the 1800s. I seem to remember the JG stamp from somewhere but my memory fails me. This one also seems a bit earlier if I had to guess but I'm not certain. Most of these earlier Fraternity swords/daggers were made commercially and are usually quite functional. I bought a Masonic cross hilt rapier from the 1840s made by Ames at a flea market once for quite cheap as the seller didnt know what it was and it is of decent construction.
    Hope this helps! Cheers.

Thank you for your answer, it is a great help to me, it actually looks like a Masonic Templar fraternity dagger. I don't really understand what it would be used for or in what context, but I'm not too interested since it's not from an army.

I agree Masonic, possibly American Masonic.

Thanks Anderson, I'll pass this time.