Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help With Sword

Article about: Hello All, I just obtained what I believe is a British pattern 1845 Infantry Officer's sword. I was hoping to get a little help as this is way out of my area! I believe it was made by Wilkin

Default Help With Sword

Hello All,
    I just obtained what I believe is a British pattern 1845 Infantry Officer's sword. I was hoping to get a little help as this is way out of my area! I believe it was made by Wilkinson. The brass insert for the proof says PROVED and there is also what appears to be the letter "T" ??? would anyone happen to know what this might signify? Here are a few Pics I would love to know a little more about these This has a Brass plated scabbard I thought these were always chromed?Help With SwordHelp With SwordHelp With SwordHelp With SwordHelp With SwordHelp With Sword

Geoff, I've seen one of these before. It's trying to be an authentic Pattern 1854 Infantry sword but it is a reproduction, probably made in India, quite recently. The proof slug indicates the maker is Thurkle, but the other one I saw was similarly marked. Also of note is the leather grip should be fishskin, the brass hilt looks thinner than should be and the Royal Cypher, is not Victoria, nor one of the 20th Century Kings I, even a Tudor Crown.
    Compare the quality with this one;

Help With SwordHelp With Sword

Last edited by Anderson; 09-22-2023 at 10:46 AM. Reason: duplicate

Quote by Geoff Ward View Post
    Hello All,
    I just obtained what I believe is a British pattern 1845 Infantry Officer's sword. I was hoping to get a little help as this is way out of my area! I believe it was made by Wilkinson. The brass insert for the proof says PROVED and there is also what appears to be the letter "T" ??? would anyone happen to know what this might signify? Here are a few Pics I would love to know a little more about these This has a Brass plated scabbard I thought these were always chromed?
    Same opinion as Anderson. Here is a sample of some actual Wilkinson proofs. Best Regards, Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images Help With Sword