MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

Highland Dirk

Article about: Hi All My name is Gill, I inherited a Highland dirk many years ago. I would appreciate valid information about the piece from all the experienced members on this group, if possible: * Possib

?

Default Highland Dirk

Hi All

My name is Gill, I inherited a Highland dirk many years ago.
    I would appreciate valid information about the piece from all the experienced members on this group, if possible:

* Possible age
    * Regiment
    * Meaning of the emblems on the blade
    * Is it a ceremonial item for an officer or piper
    * Type of stones

I have a few photos but can take more if there is anything specific that is not clear.

I would truly appreciate all comments and perhaps what it may be worth these days.

Best Regards

Highland DirkHighland DirkHighland DirkHighland DirkHighland DirkHighland DirkHighland DirkHighland DirkHighland DirkHighland DirkHighland DirkHighland DirkHighland DirkHighland DirkHighland DirkHighland DirkHighland DirkHighland DirkHighland DirkHighland Dirk

It's a nice quality private purchase dirk with regimental insignia for the Highland Light Infantry Regiment. The style is late Victorian with the angled pommels with Cairngorm stone, but the kings Tudor crown suggests likely 20th Century. Nicely etched and the evident wear on the plating on the reverse side shows it has been worn with uniform. A Pipe major would wear such a dirk. I can't see any maker marks. Elephant is the mascot, links to Indian campaigns. There was also Canadian HLI Regiment.

Quote by Anderson View Post
    It's a nice quality private purchase dirk with regimental insignia for the Highland Light Infantry Regiment. The style is late Victorian with the angled pommels with Cairngorm stone, but the kings Tudor crown suggests likely 20th Century. Nicely etched and the evident wear on the plating on the reverse side shows it has been worn with uniform. A Pipe major would wear such a dirk. I can't see any maker marks. Elephant is the mascot, links to Indian campaigns. There was also Canadian HLI Regiment.
    That works for me. Best Regards, Fred

An early photo of a Highland Light Infantry Pipe Major.

Highland Dirk

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Hi Gill,

You have a very nice dirk there.

I concur with Peter's comments though I am inclined to ascribe this to an officer because of the etched regimental blade which indicates a higher premium in terms of cost (the owner would have purchased the dirk and the etched blade would be an optional extra) and the brocade hanger rather than a leather one.
    The badge of the HLI as described but this one is to either the 5th, 7th or 8th Territorial Battalion because the scroll at the bottom is blank rather than carrying the battle honour Assaye (1803 victory in India over the Mahratta Confederacy where Arthur Wellesley was first making his name before becoming the Duke of Wellington). The Elephant is often seen in the symbology insignia of units having served in India service in India and particularly to Assaye (for clarity, no regiment actually had a real elephant as a mascot).
    The stones do look like genuine Cairngorms (citrines from the Cairngorm region) because of the darker colour whereas citrines from other regions are much lighter in colour. As Peter said there is no maker mark on the blade where one might expect to see a high end cutler advertising his prowess but are there any stamps elsewhaer on the scabbard fittings for instance?

For reference I attach images of my HLI example with un-etched blade.

Regards

Mark
    PS The thistle mark on my dirk is for Alexander Kirkwood (distributor rather than manufacturer) of Edinburgh. The company is still in business but they don't sell dirks etc any longer..

Highland DirkHighland DirkHighland DirkHighland DirkHighland Dirk
    Last edited by Watchdog; 12-11-2023 at 04:21 PM. Reason: ps
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Some very nice dirks. For contrast here is a Victorian period government issue type. Best Regards, Fred
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Highland Dirk