Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Highland Light Imfantry Officer's / Pipers Dirk

Article about: The Highland Light Infantry (HLI) was formed in 1881 under the Childers Reforms which created territorial "named regiments from the previous numbered line regiments by the amalgamation

Default Highland Light Imfantry Officer's / Pipers Dirk

The Highland Light Infantry (HLI) was formed in 1881 under the Childers Reforms which created territorial "named regiments from the previous numbered line regiments by the amalgamation of the 71st (Highland) Light Infantry (as the 1st Battalion) and the 74th (Highland) Regiment of Foot (as the 2nd Battalion) as the city regiment of Glasgow, Scotland .
    It took part in the First and Second World Wars, until it was amalgamated with the Royal Scots Fusiliers in 1959 to form the Royal Highland Fusiliers (Princess Margaret's Own Glasgow and Ayrshire Regiment).

The device on the throat piece of the scabbard is the cap badge of the HLI and carries the Queens Victorian Crown rather than the later Kings Tudor Crown or the Queens Crown of Queen Elizabeth II. This means it is one of the earliest pieces from the HLI but these items were often private purchase or regimental property rather than government property so a piece with the Victorian Crown may well have continued in use into the reign of subsequent monarchs either by being passed on as a family heirloom or reissued by the regiment

I was pleased to find this one which is undamaged and has a very clean blade.

I have not identified the maker mark yet so if anyone has an ide it would be much appreciated.

All opinion or comment is welcome.

Regards

Mark
    Highland Light Imfantry Officer's / Pipers DirkHighland Light Imfantry Officer's / Pipers DirkHighland Light Imfantry Officer's / Pipers DirkHighland Light Imfantry Officer's / Pipers DirkHighland Light Imfantry Officer's / Pipers DirkHighland Light Imfantry Officer's / Pipers DirkHighland Light Imfantry Officer's / Pipers DirkHighland Light Imfantry Officer's / Pipers DirkHighland Light Imfantry Officer's / Pipers Dirk
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

CBH
    ?

That’s a beautiful Dirk, Mark. Your Scottish collection must be something to see.
    Thanks for sharing.

Another beautiful Dirk Mark. You're becoming a serious collector!

I really like the looks of this one.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Just lovely
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.