Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

KA-BAR USN Mk2

Article about: Hello everyone, Here is another piece I found in one of my Grandfather's footlockers. USN Mk2 with personalized sheath. Anyone have further info they can share about this blade?

MK2 knives were issued to the US Navy personnel. Sometimes they were available to Marines as well. Other services could possess them non-officially - after trading them or "liberating".
    70th TB was delivered to the beach on US Navy LSTs. It's possible, that this knife found a new owner then...

Quote by Tomasz70 View Post
    MK2 knives were issued to the US Navy personnel. Sometimes they were available to Marines as well. Other services could possess them non-officially - after trading them or "liberating".
    70th TB was delivered to the beach on US Navy LSTs. It's possible, that this knife found a new owner then...
    I wondered the same thing.

?

MK-2 knifes were commonally issued to ship board personal.

Quote by Tomasz70 View Post
    Interesting combination of the fat butt (pommel) and guard markings.
    In fact it shouldn't happen according to the regulations. Thick pommel was changed to thin one at beginning of 1944, producer's markings were moved from blade to the guard in the second half of this year.
    Stange, but one shouldn't say that it was impossible. Sometimes, producers utilized old stuff to finish the contract.
    Sheath definitively custom made.
    I find this interesting as I have a nearly identical knife.
    I have always thought that mine was a Vietnam era knife however after seeing the one posted
    above by Thistle, I thought I would try to date mine and his.

I found that trying to date these can be confusing as h3ll. I read several on line forum posts
    that seem to contradict each other. I sent messages to some of the US blade guys over
    at the WAF forum and everyone was in agreement that this is a ww2 made piece.

Here is mine-
    Fat butt, peened (not pinned) oxblood brown handle. guard marked.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KA-BAR USN Mk2   KA-BAR USN Mk2  

KA-BAR USN Mk2   KA-BAR USN Mk2  

gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

This is an MK I but I'm showing it for the scabbard. Guys always like to show off a little bit and what better way then make your knife a little more fancy
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture KA-BAR USN Mk2   KA-BAR USN Mk2  

Quote by RH1941 View Post
    This is an MK I but I'm showing it for the scabbard. Guys always like to show off a little bit and what better way then make your knife a little more fancy
    Love the scabbard! Awesome piece!

I found this interesting.

KA-BAR USN Mk2

After some digging, I finally found the sheath that I had misplaced.
    It is brown leather, has 9 rivets and is USN marked. all of which indicates a ww2 knife.

gregM

myself around.

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    After some digging, I finally found the sheath that I had misplaced.
    It is brown leather, has 9 rivets and is USN marked. all of which indicates a ww2 knife.
    Looks great Greg!

Thank you.
    gregM

myself around.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast