Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Knife help please

Article about: Hi folks thought id ask for help this time, i have been offered both these knives which i am told are ww2 period they seem pretty common commercial knifes to me, anyone seen them before Stev

will do, a little wd40 works wonders, maybe just me but i like to see things in used condition i quite like ground dug relics too.
    Hence, the helmet to the left

?

Quote by greatwhite View Post
    will do, a little wd40 works wonders, maybe just me but i like to see things in used condition i quite like ground dug relics too.
    Ditto.

Arrived today, will post some detailed pictures tomorrow if i can still see ok, main thing that as stood out or some ridges on the spine of the leather handled blade they go down the spine about 2 inches, and large brass rivet through the pommel.
    steve, ps the other (german ?) is a right Frankenstein job.

No. 1 looks like a Morakniv.
    Any maker stamped upon the blade, (maybe Erik Frost) ?
    Is there a tiny "sawback" on the spine ?

I read, that swedish UN-pilot´s carried such small US-Navy Mk.I style knives during the Kongo mission.
    1960 till 1964 probably 6.300 swedish soldiers served in the Kongo.

Update, after a quick clean the maker Johnson Western works Sheffield has become clear, a google reveals a pretty common blade nothing special really the other has no marks what so ever really weird looking thing
    Knife help please
    Knife help please
    Knife help please

?

Yeah, as mentioned before; a quite common pattern. Many made knives in the same general style.

Shelve filler , next the other one strange thing this thing home made grips, awful rivets and a strange piece of leather
    Knife help please
    Knife help please
    Knife help please

?

Quote by greatwhite View Post
    Shelve filler , next the other one strange thing this thing home made grips, awful rivets and a strange piece of leather
    Whilst the rivets are not big in the looks department, it was common on some knives to use soft rivets.

The idea being, that you could hammer the soft rivets in order to prevent the grip slabs from rattling around.

EK used this on some of their military knives for example.

It might not look good (especially after hammering on them a couple of times), in fact its downright utalitarian, but it works.

Found some markings on the blade , numbers i will try to figure them out, looking at the blade obvious grip replacements the pommel seems to be alloy with the blade steel, someone mentioned possible HJ knife not sure if the early ones had alloy but the plus side is the markings which are faint on the blade itself around halfway up, maybe just maybe it is a de nazified piece. would there be any marks under the grips.

its likely that the top knife was not made during the war years as they replaced the cap with fibre instead of ali as shown. apparently whilst fibre blocks remained in stock they continued to use these for some years after WW2, possilbly up to early 50's

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3