Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Late-war / late style garand bayonet??

Article about: Hello all, I’m helping an elderly friend sell bits of his collection to help raise funds for his ever increasing medical expenses and I need help identifying this bayonet. The grip and cro

Here's another link, Bayonets of South Korea

I've never been able to find any info on why they ground the blades down to the M5 config. They did start to make their own proper M5s, though. I've seen them parkerized. This was done after the grinding.

Yes, the US supplied the South Koreans with both M1 rifles and carbines during and after the Korean war and they used these pretty hard.

Stinkpotpete has provided the proper info on your bayonet, nice work Paul. They are commonly found in the US. I am sure I have a couple in my collection. I pass on them now. They would be a must have if you have a confirmed South Korean issued M1 Garand.
    John

Thank you everyone or solving the mystery.

Pete,
    I believe they made the blade narrower so that they would fit in the smaller M8 scabbards. I have a second one that came in an M8

?

No worries mate,
    I wasn't sure . It has me confused .
    Can you get better photos without a hippy print background
    Cheers Rick

A little late to the conversation but I saw this on an auction site and it looks similar to the OPs bayonet, with what I presume is also the wrapping which may be similar to the OPs...

Happy New Year all

Smitty

Mint South Korean M5 Garand bayonet in wrapper | eBay

And here is a photo for when the auction goes away..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Late-war / late style garand bayonet??  

A cousin brought a bayonet like yours from Vietnam in about 1968. At the time I thought it was a strange looking bayonet, but I didn’t know it was Korean.

?

Thanks Leigh !
    I think you are correct , I would say the use to the word Mint is fairly reasonably optimistic nonsense.
    Something like As Found Unused Relic condition would be more suitable
    Cheers Rick

The South Koreans received a lot of U.S. arms as military aid many of which made their way back to the U.S. as imports. The rifles were not marked with many of them having worn out bores at the muzzle from aggressive cleaning and oftentimes mixed parts and/or maybe re-barreled in the U.S. post WW2. Many Parkerized over severely used or worn out receivers and well worn rifle stocks etc. - every once in a great while a decent original receiver and/or other parts might be found. Presumably from an attempt at preservation, many of the bayonets which had been cut down were re-Parkerized and could be found in a protective paper wrap where the phosphate from dipping the whole bayonet in the refinishing solution with the excess solution still on the plastic parts. Something that could usually be removed or minimized with standard gun oil. Best Regards, Fred

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2