Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Leen Enfield Hooked Quillion Bayonet OR not?

Article about: Hi everyone, I'm currently looking at this relic bayonet which is purported to be a hooked quillion Lee Enfield found on the Somme (a relic missing its tip). It appears to have a heat mark (

Default Leen Enfield Hooked Quillion Bayonet OR not?

Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking at this relic bayonet which is purported to be a hooked quillion Lee Enfield found on the Somme (a relic missing its tip). It appears to have a heat mark (i.e. some blueing) Leen Enfield Hooked Quillion Bayonet OR not?on it as though it has recently been heated. Can someone confirm that Hooked Quillions Lee Enfield bayonets were used on the Western front. I thought that the hook was ground off after the Gallipoli Campaign (at least for the Australian Imperial Force). I find it curious that there are no close ups of the maker markings (in fact when you hold the mouse over the picture it will not allow you to enlarge it). Anyway, these are the best pics avaiable and the item bid starts at $95 AUS. Also attached its another one that the seller is offering (in very relic condtion whichI get a much better feeling about). Opinions?

Leen Enfield Hooked Quillion Bayonet OR not?Leen Enfield Hooked Quillion Bayonet OR not?Leen Enfield Hooked Quillion Bayonet OR not?Leen Enfield Hooked Quillion Bayonet OR not?Leen Enfield Hooked Quillion Bayonet OR not?

The fact that there is no oiler hole certainly dates this as an early bayonet, and yes... hooked quillion bayonets were used on the western front. This example is missing a bit more than its tip though, and it seems like a straight cut. It also appears to have been subjected to some heavy cleaning. As to whether it has been dug up on the Somme, that's an entirely different matter; it would depend on when the bayonet was supposed to have been recovered. It certainly hasn't spent a great deal of time in the ground, it could just as easily be out of someone's garden shed.

Cheers,
    Steve.

I had one come from a client at work and it was a family item and the soldier served on the Western Front. I sold it for £230.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

The Somme story sounds doubtful to me, could as easily have been abused by teenagers in the 1970's. I would want close up photos, I think I can see a 1907 stamp. Be aware also that for the Australian movie "Gallipoli" they modified some P1907 bayonets into hook quillion versions. The other relic pictured seems more interesting.

I guess the thing for me is the lack of close up photos, the fact they can't be enlarged and also the fact that the seller has also sold a few other hooked quillion bayonets previously. I mean how many can one person have!? I think I will give the first one a miss. The more relic one is more interesting ing as the sight of a Lee Enfield rifle still remains attached to the end - a lot of effort for a faker.