Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Lithgow Pattern 1907 bayonet, 1940 made

Article about: I recently added an October 1940 made Lithgow P1907 bayonet to my collection. Really as I already had two Lithgow SMLE rifles made in 1941 & 1942 and wanted a Lithgow bayonet. The P1907

Default Lithgow Pattern 1907 bayonet, 1940 made

I recently added an October 1940 made Lithgow P1907 bayonet to my collection. Really as I already had two Lithgow SMLE rifles made in 1941 & 1942 and wanted a Lithgow bayonet.
    The P1907 was made at Lithgow Small Arms Factory between 1913-1927 and then again between 1940-45.
    On this bayonet the marks are fairly clear. The "4" in "40" for year of manufacture is not struck well but the tail is just visible. On the other side ricasso there are two Lithgow inspector marks "crown 3 L" and two Government acceptance broad arrow marks, a bend test mark and "MA" Lithgow factory mark. These bayonets were apparently matched to a Lithgow SMLE. This one has the serial number B33616, which believe could also be 1940 production. Beautiful colour to those wood grips.
    The scabbard does have a "MA" mark on the collar just above the staple and on the chape, but is very faint but can be seen in correct light.

Lithgow Pattern 1907 bayonet, 1940 madeLithgow Pattern 1907 bayonet, 1940 madeLithgow Pattern 1907 bayonet, 1940 madeLithgow Pattern 1907 bayonet, 1940 madeLithgow Pattern 1907 bayonet, 1940 madeLithgow Pattern 1907 bayonet, 1940 madeLithgow Pattern 1907 bayonet, 1940 made

A really nice example Anderson! Congratulations.

I live about an hour and half’s drive from the Small Arms factory as I visit Lithgow often in relation to another hobby. Next time I’m there I’ll try to get some photos.

Andy

Thumbs up

Very nice 'old school' item to match your excellent pair of SMLEs. Well done !

?

Nice one Anderson, I think the 40 made ones are harder to find and still used Queensland Maple. I also used to have a 41 Lithgow SMLE but still have two 41 bayonets however they changed over to coachwood I think.

Alex

Very nice Anderson! IMO Lithgow made the nicest P1907s and SMLEs. Your assumption is correct about the rifle it was paired with being a 1940 production rifle. The B prefix is 1940, C 1941 and so on. I have a 1943 Lithgow SMLE but no bayo to match….yet

Anyone have an idea why the inspector marks and acceptance arrow mark are stamped twice? It doesn't appear to have been refurbished. And later war P1907 Lithgow bayonets I've seen have only one set of inspector and Government arrow mark. Could it be in early production double sets were standard then reduced to one late war production? Something like that occurred with German S84/98 bayonets.

So the timber is Queensland Maple, I love those Australian timbers! Andy, if I was to visit Australia I would go to the Lithgow factory museum. If you get to visit there sometime could you take some photos and "bung up a thread" (as Rene might say!) Thanks.

?

Lithgow Pattern 1907 bayonet, 1940 made

Both my 41s are double inspector stamped and B serials along with the 41 rifle. My thought with the inspector marks is that it was just the difference between Lithgow and Orange made bayonets.

Alex

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Anyone have an idea why the inspector marks and acceptance arrow mark are stamped twice? It doesn't appear to have been refurbished. And later war P1907 Lithgow bayonets I've seen have only one set of inspector and Government arrow mark. Could it be in early production double sets were standard then reduced to one late war production? Something like that occurred with German S84/98 bayonets.

So the timber is Queensland Maple, I love those Australian timbers! Andy, if I was to visit Australia I would go to the Lithgow factory museum. If you get to visit there sometime could you take some photos and "bung up a thread" (as Rene might say!) Thanks.
    Anderson, I’ll get some photos and by all means let me know if you visit. It’s about 120 kilometres inland and on the other side of Blue Mountains from Sydney. Due to the small arms factory being situated in Lithgow, there were gun emplacements in the surrounding hills which are still visible today. I have a 1915 Lithgow made bayonet with a 7th Light Horse scabbard that was given to me by my grandfather. I’ll post some photos later today.

Andy