Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Markings On Sword Blade

Article about: Hi All I bought a rusty old sword at auction, its an 1897 pattern sword. After cleaning, the blade has the following on it. I think its Welsh Fusiliers????....but what does China mean, is it

Default Markings On Sword Blade

Hi All
    I bought a rusty old sword at auction, its an 1897 pattern sword.

After cleaning, the blade has the following on it. I think its Welsh Fusiliers????....but what does China mean, is it a campaign marking??

Any help would be most appreciated

Tim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Markings On Sword Blade  

Made in China?

?

Doesn't look all that old to me, also I don't see any rust. Any better pictures?

MAP
    ?

Quote by Buzzbomb View Post
    Made in China?
    ahhh...no

Quote by gel65 View Post
    Doesn't look all that old to me, also I don't see any rust. Any better pictures?
    If you look close and expand the photo (at least to my eyes), you can see aging to the plating on the blade. But agree. Don't see any rust

That said, I can't help at all on the sword. But I'm sure complete photos would help others.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

He does state, "after cleaning".
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

MAP
    ?

Quote by rbminis View Post
    He does state, "after cleaning".
    Ralph.
    That's like reading the assembly instructions! LoL!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

It's authentic, for an officer of a Welsh regiment, quite possibly the Welsh Fusiliers. The symbols tell the story; the tudor crown of probably Edward VII, the arms of the Prince of Wales (which Edward had been), "China" a battle honour referring to the Boxer Rebellion around 1901, over the Welsh dragon. So probably made early 1900's. Can we see a zoomed back photo as well?

Thanks chaps....slight misreading going on.....thats the sword blade after cleaning!!!!
    I bought 2 rusty swords, one an 1853 cavalry sabre and this one, an 1897 infantry sword.

Both have cleaned up well but unfortunately the infantry sword was a gift for someone so I dont currently have it.

Thanks Anderson, thats what I assumed, so thank you for confirming. When i see it next i will get the other photo
    Its actually a numbered Pillin sword but I dont think Pillin records survive anymore

Anyway for interests sake, here they are rusty

Tim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Markings On Sword Blade   Markings On Sword Blade  

Markings On Sword Blade  

Hi Tim,

I am currently researching numbered Pillin swords, could you tell me what serial number this is please.

Have you been able to attribute it to an officer?

Thanks