Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Napoleonic (?) infantry sabre

Article about: Hello! i will be very grateful if someone give me advice whether this saber is related to the Napoleonic wars and is it original, Thank you

Default Napoleonic (?) infantry sabre

Hello! i will be very grateful if someone give me advice whether this saber is related to the Napoleonic wars and is it original, Thank you

Sorry not Napoleonic era. It is a French style Briquet sabre but these were used by various European countries as an infantry side arm for 50 years. This one is made by the Prussian maker H & R Boker at Remscheid. They made these between about 1830 and 1850. Some were sold to France, others to Denmark and some German States. I can't see the inspection mark to confirm which country used it. These are often without their scabbard so if priced sensibly (ie not a Napoleanic sabre) could be worth picking up.

Known to the French as the Model AN IX, the back spine portion of the blade will have engraved the date and maker that will most likely be Klingenthal. Best Regards, Fred

?

Hello

"briquet" sabers are napoleonic era, if An IX (1800-01) or An XI (1802-03)

another model is 1816

the differences are about the handle:
    AN IX, 32 grooves
    AN XI, 28 grooves
    1816, 21 grooves

cordially
    Didier

?

It was mentioned above it was "sold" from Germany to Denmark, this was not the case. They were captioned by the Danish army from the Germans in the war 1848-51 (one of the few times we actually won against Germany ), but we lost the second round in 1864 ....

The Germans earlier captioned the sabers from the French, so they have seen a few wars.

The old sabers are still in daily use as Danish M1854 in my old regiment The Royal Guards during duty at the royal palaces, I have an example which is heavily polished down after + 150 years of use with the guard's stamp "L" and number.

The below also shows the close combat model i.e. a letter opener.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Napoleonic (?) infantry sabre   Napoleonic (?) infantry sabre  

Napoleonic (?) infantry sabre   Napoleonic (?) infantry sabre  

Napoleonic (?) infantry sabre   Napoleonic (?) infantry sabre