Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Is this a No4 Lee Enfield bayonet?

Article about: I’m wondering whether this is a genuine No4 bayonet. It came in this leather frog that looks like some of the variants of P03 bayonet frogs. I can’t spot any markings though there seems

?

Question Is this a No4 Lee Enfield bayonet?

I’m wondering whether this is a genuine No4 bayonet. It came in this leather frog that looks like some of the variants of P03 bayonet frogs.

I can’t spot any markings though there seems to be a semi circle or crescent, that might be nothing, I’ve tried to photograph it.

I’d appreciate if someone could help me out with this one.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a No4 Lee Enfield bayonet?   Is this a No4 Lee Enfield bayonet?  

Is this a No4 Lee Enfield bayonet?   Is this a No4 Lee Enfield bayonet?  

Is this a No4 Lee Enfield bayonet?   Is this a No4 Lee Enfield bayonet?  

The frog is South African issue for WW2

The bayonet was also used on the Mk V Sten gun

?

Is there any way to figure out the manufacturer without visible marks?

Most of the other No4 bayonets I’ve seen online don’t seem to have blackened/black painted blades like this one seems to have.

Harry the Mole.... can you tell me what reference you used to say it was used on the MK5 sten? The sten had its own spike bayonet, and I think this would not fit......

FinMc.... there were a few of them that were sold to Turkey, they marked their bayonets with a crescent.

The sten mk2 had its own bayonet. The spike bayonet will fit the sten mk5
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Is this a No4 Lee Enfield bayonet?   Is this a No4 Lee Enfield bayonet?  

?

a very interesting piece.

?

Looks like a standard No4 MkII* bayonet to me. Might be your photos but I think I’ve seen others with similar finish. These were used by numerous countries post war which would explain different finishes if they needed reworking. Considering there was over 5 million No4 bayonets manufactured and they can still be had for as little as $10 I don’t see any profit in anyone faking them at the moment. A lot of the No4 MkII* makers markings were stamped lightly which might explain why you’re having trouble finding it. These are the markings Britain - The No. 4 Spike Bayonet if you know what to look for you might be able to make something out.