Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

PICTURES -- Cattaraugus 225Q Combat Knife - sheath inscribed by soldier

Article about: I was able to upload a few pics. Unfortunately, the best pics with the soldier's name and other inscriptions won't upload. I'm getting some kind of error. The inscriptions were added with ba

Default PICTURES -- Cattaraugus 225Q Combat Knife - sheath inscribed by soldier

I was able to upload a few pics. Unfortunately, the best pics with the soldier's name and other inscriptions won't upload. I'm getting some kind of error. The inscriptions were added with ball-point pen so it's no surprise they've faded some. It's remarkable what's still legible though. The name and hometown (Lloyd S. Richards - Port Matilda, PA) is clear as a bell but that pic wouldn't upload. You can also make out the countries and at lease 15 US states he visited and documented. Look closely and you can see Scotland, Iceland and a bunch of states from Florida to Utah... I've seen thousands of examples of this same combat knife and I can say, hands down, it is in better condition than any other I've ever seen. Heck, mediocre knives in their original sheaths are going for upwards of $100-$200. I'm tempted sell just to get the artifact in the hands of the right collector. On the other hand, someone out there would probably kill to have such a historically significant piece. Any questions / comments are always welcome. Want to see pics of anything else on the knife? I'll gladly do my best to capture and post them.

--WampumWildman
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture PICTURES  --  Cattaraugus 225Q Combat Knife - sheath inscribed by soldier   PICTURES  --  Cattaraugus 225Q Combat Knife - sheath inscribed by soldier  

Attached Images Attached Images PICTURES  --  Cattaraugus 225Q Combat Knife - sheath inscribed by soldier 

Welcome to the forum. I have not seen the white/yellow color spacers at the top and bottom of the leather handles before nor the scabbard. Wait to see what others have to say.
    John
    Last edited by Rescue190; 01-24-2022 at 03:50 PM.

Interesting... My research seemed to indicate authenticity. Didn't discover any anomalies that would constitute a forgery or reproduction. Also, I have proof that the man who inscribed his name, hometown and countries/states he visited enlisted. I just haven't been able to reveal enough specific information. If I could match the countries on the sheath (Iceland, Scotland, England) with the soldier's European movements I'd have exactly what I need to authenticate it.

MAP
    ?

The knife does seem to be ok based on the limited photos.

A nice piece with the possibility of some interesting research. I would think Familysearch.org (free) or Ancestry.com might have some information to get you started.

Not sure why the other photos are not uploading. It could be that they are to big, either individually or as a group.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

After I get my granddaughter back to sleep I'm going to figure out how to upload more compelling pics that, in my opinion, help to authenticate the piece... I'm not an authority on WW2 artifacts or combat weapons but my research and my instincts are telling me it's the real deal. Hopefully we can find out for sure. Stay tuned.

Default New (better) pics of 225q combat knife

Ok... I managed to play with the lighting and capture pics that reveal some of the pertinent information. Upon close inspection Lloyd S. Richards Port Matilda, PENA is visible on the back of the sheath. PENA was his way of abbreviating Pennsylvania I assume since it IS a city in central PA. I also managed to capture countries like Iceland and Scotland along with about a dozen US states. So what are your thoughts? I understand why people forge signatures on baseball cards and all kinds of other stuff. Why, however, would anyone keep details of their war travels on the sheath of a genuine combat knife like it were some a teenage girl's diary or something? What would be the purpose and what would one have to gain from forging such info? I believe the inscriptions are genuine and I believe the knife, sheath and inscriptions are era-correct. The item is so unique who would dream of making it up? Also, Lloyd S. Richards WAS born in central PA in 1906 and he died in Sharpsville, PA in 1989. National Archives records show that he DID serve in WW2... Too much makes sense. I'm ready to hear from the skeptics or anyone who wants to weigh in on this knife. Please remember that the intention of my original post was to get help getting this memento back to Mr. Richard's next of kin...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture PICTURES  --  Cattaraugus 225Q Combat Knife - sheath inscribed by soldier   PICTURES  --  Cattaraugus 225Q Combat Knife - sheath inscribed by soldier  

PICTURES  --  Cattaraugus 225Q Combat Knife - sheath inscribed by soldier   PICTURES  --  Cattaraugus 225Q Combat Knife - sheath inscribed by soldier  

PICTURES  --  Cattaraugus 225Q Combat Knife - sheath inscribed by soldier   PICTURES  --  Cattaraugus 225Q Combat Knife - sheath inscribed by soldier  

Better photos with details and info were uploaded. If you have trouble finding it or have any questions, just shoot me a quick message. Check it out and let me know what you think.

Thanks.

It looks fine to me. Typical wartime through to 1950's private purchase knife.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I think the knife itself is fine and the provenance is good. It looks to me as the white colored ends of the leather washer is some type of repair material similar to a glazing compound in lieu of red or brown spacers.
    It adds to the history of the knife but would like to know what it is. Can you tell if it is a plastic material?
    John

?

Welcome.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast