Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Schrade M2 question

Article about: I just picked up a Schrade M2. It's in ok, but not great condition. When I open the knife, it opens about halfway by itself and then I have to open it by hand. There is a fair amount of crud

Default Schrade M2 question

I just picked up a Schrade M2. It's in ok, but not great condition. When I open the knife, it opens about halfway by itself and then I have to open it by hand. There is a fair amount of crud in the knife, so I'm thinking it either needs to be cleaned or it has a weak spring. I'd like to try cleaning the crud out of it first.

Can anyone suggest something to use to clean the gunk out of the knife that won't hurt the finish on the blade or the rest of the knife?

If that doesn't work, can the spring be replaced?

Thanks,

Chris

Default Re: Schrade M2 question

Hello, Chris !

Can we see a photo of said knife ? You may have to be careful with certain
    solvents, that they do not react with the handle materials and shrink
    or otherwise distort them. The spring may simply be weak
    and not respond after cleaning.

Hopefully, a light cleaning will allow it to function properly. I use a needle or
    safety pin to remove small globs in recesses, trying not to scratch
    the finish too much, then just a drop of 3-in-1 lubricating oil
    at the hinge.
    Regards,

Steve.

Steve - thanks! I'll post some pictures in the next day or so.

As you mentioned, affecting the finish or the other parts is exactly what I'm worried about. It has the bone handles. The blade isn't bright and shiny, but its not rusted or pitted either. It has a really nice patina that I don't want to mess with.

I was thinking of using a spray like CLP. The small straw will fit in their nicely and It will give me some pressure, but I was hesitant to use it. I'll try a needle and see what I can get out of there.

Chris

If 'CLP' is like WD40, use it sparingly, but if it is like 'CLR', I'd stay away from it
    as it will remove gunk as well as rust, etc, ( ie: patina ! )

And if they are real bone handles and not synthetic, you should have no
    problems, but bone may also soak up liquids possibly staining them.

Just some cautions to be concerned about..............!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Why dont you try the compressed air that comes in a can similar to the type used to clean keyboards, it has a small straw that gets into small places

Steve and Dave - thanks. CLP is a gun cleaner that is safe on plastic and synthetic parts. Thats why I thought I'd use that. I think I will try to loosen what I can with a needle or very soft bristled brush first and try to blow it out with compressed air before using any sort of solvent.