Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Scottish dirk info.

Article about: Hello Hope someone can help I’ve been told of a dirk that has a maker’s name of Cater with his correct London address on the blade but the silver mounts have the assay mark of Thomas Ebb

Quote by Anderson View Post
    I'm curious if there is a "cairngorm" stone on the top of the pommel?
    I would be interested too but it doesn't look like it from the pics.
    For anyone wondering, a Cairngorm is a Citrine (quartz group crystal) that actually originates in the Cairngorm Mountains of Scotland whereas a Citrine can come from other sources. As far as I understand it the Cairngorm tends to have more of the iron trace element which gives it the yellowish colour and is therefore somewhat darker than the average Citrine. I think that goes towards older production as a result greater desirability?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

The poor quality of the photos may have caused a mis-identification. A closer look at the top silver scabbard band may be a Scottish Regiment, might need Mark's knowledge of Scottish Regiments to identify.

Here also is a photo of a Gordon Highlanders Regimental dirk by W C Cater & Co (56 Pall Mall)Scottish dirk info.Scottish dirk info.Scottish dirk info.

This example used imitation Cairngorm stones (possibly for the officer on a budget)

Quote by Anderson View Post
    The poor quality of the photos may have caused a mis-identification. A closer look at the top silver scabbard band may be a Scottish Regiment, might need Mark's knowledge of Scottish Regiments to identify.

Here also is a photo of a Gordon Highlanders Regimental dirk by W C Cater & Co (56 Pall Mall)Scottish dirk info.Scottish dirk info.Scottish dirk info.

This example used imitation Cairngorm stones (possibly for the officer on a budget)
    Hi Peter, I think you are on the money.

This is a perfect example of why pictures are not only essential in the first instance but that they should be of good clarity.

When I first looked at the dirk at the top of this thread my first thought was that that type of "pedestal - like" pommel was reminiscent of the Gordon Highlanders which generally sticks out amongst the more common "drum - like" style but I dismissed it because the dirk seemed to have no stones (that were visible anyway) and the design of the mounts was very unclear.

However, in comparison with the example you show the design on the scabbard throat mount I believe can be discerned as being to the Gordon Highlanders with the saltire, two sphinx, the circlet and double thistle branches. The upper mount directly below it has a double thistle which whilst a generic symbol in itself matches the Gordons design. The plain blade would be standard with the etched regimental type being a more expensive optional extra sometimes associated with a dirk that was a presentation or gift as well as the choice of a well heeled career officer.

The silver assay marks are for Edinburgh 1911 (so the owner was likely a WWI officer) and as stated the maker Thomas Ebutt.

What is often referred to as an imitation Cairngorm is really a generic Citrine (a Cairngorm is a Citrine crystal from The Cairngorm Mountains which has a darker hue) which would be a cheaper option.

I would say, again from the not so great pictures that the example here is in "good" condition (versus "fair" or "excellent") and if it is for sale would expect a low end four figure price tag.

I would still like to see better pictures to be sure but in the meantime, well spotted Peter (Anderson). On the pics I was inclined to say it was a "wannabe" for a civilian which would still be a nice item just not military

I hope this helps.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2