Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

U S sword

Article about: Hi everyone I'd like to share with you this US sword I have recently purchased. I would like to identify it because I have never seen one like this. It is marked 1864 (year?) and O&O (ma

Default U S sword

Hi everyone I'd like to share with you this US sword I have recently purchased. I would like to identify it because I have never seen one like this. It is marked 1864 (year?) and O&O (maker?) and has a beautiful engraved blade. It is 104 centimetres long and the blade is 88 centimetres. Could it be a Cavalry sword? thanks to all
    U S sword
    U S sword
    U S sword
    U S sword
    U S sword
    U S sword
    U S sword
    U S sword
    U S sword
    U S sword
    U S sword
    U S sword
    U S sword
    U S sword
    U S sword

Any thoughts?

American swords are not really my area of interest but frankly I have doubts this is authentic. It looks like the patina is contrived to my eye. There are Indian fakes out there that someone with some skill could age quite well. Check out these photos of an aged US sabre made in India.

U S swordU S sword

I don't know because I have never seen a sword like this before... The blade seems to be used a lot because there are many little signs. Thanks for your answer

Looks like a knock off of a Model 1850 staff officer's sword. Not a cavalry sabre. I am unware of any maker mark O&O. Blade looks forcibly aged.

here's a nice one https://www.americanswords.com/1850-...horstmann.html

Thanks for your reply. The thing that make me think a lot is the great weight of the sword and all the numbers and markings very well made..... However if is really a copy, is a pretty copy....

The numbers are one of the aspects that lead me to think a repro, that is they are identical in type and font, suggesting all done at the same time. That would odd.
    As for the blade weight, again that's off, why isn't it "fullered"? But a blade with a fuller is harder to forge, a single edge chopper without fuller, fairly easy.

I have been collecting Civil War swords thirty years. Sorry to say it is a fake and not a very good one at that.
    Mike

Thanks Mike. At least I am sure what I own.