Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

US M1 Bayonet Signed by Charles LIndberg - Iwo Jima

Article about: I bought both the bayonet and the story. That does not often happen but I could not pass up since he is a local guy. I have no illusion that he carried this bayonet on Iwo, just a nice examp

Default US M1 Bayonet Signed by Charles LIndberg - Iwo Jima

I bought both the bayonet and the story. That does not often happen but I could not pass up since he is a local guy. I have no illusion that he carried this bayonet on Iwo, just a nice example of a M1. It has not been issued IMO. I picked it up 5 minutes after a relative sold it to another vendor. Interesting to preserve the history of a local guy and at the same time, sad the family sold the history. I guess that is what this hobby is for. The provenance did not add to the the price of the bayonet.
    John

US M1 Bayonet Signed by Charles LIndberg - Iwo JimaUS M1 Bayonet Signed by Charles LIndberg - Iwo JimaUS M1 Bayonet Signed by Charles LIndberg - Iwo JimaUS M1 Bayonet Signed by Charles LIndberg - Iwo JimaUS M1 Bayonet Signed by Charles LIndberg - Iwo JimaUS M1 Bayonet Signed by Charles LIndberg - Iwo JimaUS M1 Bayonet Signed by Charles LIndberg - Iwo JimaUS M1 Bayonet Signed by Charles LIndberg - Iwo JimaUS M1 Bayonet Signed by Charles LIndberg - Iwo Jima

WOW!! That's amazing! A real piece of history.

An intriguing piece and I think I might have bought it too.

I did do a bit of a "double take" though when I read the name thinking of the famous aviator albeit he spelled it Lindbergh

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

John,

Very nice. I think I have a signed photo of Lindbergh in some of my things..

Smitty

That's a really cool piece.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

That is one special object. You are very lucky to be the current guardian of this bayonet and the owners memory.

?

Is it claimed to be his bayonet, or just A bayonet, signed by Cpl. Lindbergh?
    I know all sorts of original items have been ‘spoiled’ by having veterans write all over them. I recall seeing a once minty USAAF B-4 life preserver, covered with autographs from American paratroopers.
    To me, it adds no credence or historic value to either signature or item - if anything, it just spoils an original piece of Militaria. I would much rather have a signed photograph of the veteran and a nice bit of kit, as separate items in their own right.

I don’t mean to wee all over your fireworks, John, and apologise for any offence. It’s just a personal opinion.
    All the best,
    Rob

No offense taken Rob. It is just a minty bayonet. I paid $140 US for a minty bayonet with some added history or distraction. I also have a repro M1A carbine stock signed by Bill Guarnere at a Easy Company reunion 2 years before he passed, from the original Band of Brothers. Both items are gimmicky but have signatures from the real guys. I only picked the bayonet up because he is a MN guy and has been a legend in our parts for years. Nothing ruined if I wanted to erase its history. Acetone the sharpie off and I have a mint M1 bayonet. I will leave that decision to the future owner.
    John

For me this marks the history of the man Charles Lindbergh and isn't about the bayonet per say. I was pleased for. Vets to sign copies of their books, or books about them in the case of Easy Company 506th PIR. But I also saw them sign all kinds of bits including a repro Profilactic kit for a reenactor!

A signed bayonet seems a more suitable object to sign or to display, as such the bayonet is not rare but the memory of the man and the events he witnessed are. I hope that makes sense.