Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

US M9 Buck 188 Bayonet Help Please

Article about: My apologies for going to the well of knowledge so much lately and not contributing more. I picked up this bayonet, mainly due to condition and now trying to figure out if this is a commerci

Default US M9 Buck 188 Bayonet Help Please

My apologies for going to the well of knowledge so much lately and not contributing more.
    I picked up this bayonet, mainly due to condition and now trying to figure out if this is a commercial contract or a military contract M9. There seems to be a bit of confusion between commercial and military contracts with Buck. The construction and markings all appear to be correct for 1994 production. I do not have the the M9 reference book to review. All thoughts and opinions are appreciated and welcome.
    John

US M9 Buck 188 Bayonet Help PleaseUS M9 Buck 188 Bayonet Help PleaseUS M9 Buck 188 Bayonet Help PleaseUS M9 Buck 188 Bayonet Help PleaseUS M9 Buck 188 Bayonet Help PleaseUS M9 Buck 188 Bayonet Help Please

I was able to figure out this is a Buck made knife for the civilian market. The knife and scabbard about both dated 1994.
    John

MAP
    ?

A great looking knife either way
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Hi John,

My knowledge of these is limited to the Australian issued ones. Yours looks good even if it is a civilian one, can you give a quick run down on the civilian / GI differences?

Thanks
    Alex

From what I understand as of now is; The Buck made knives for the civilian market will have a date code next to the model #188 indicated by a slash mark /. Some will have ^,- or some other type of mark. These marks indicated the year of manufacture. The scabbards are much easier as they are dated as shown in the last pic. The military contract ones can have the Buck maker mark and 188 but the opposite side will have the Phrobis marking as Phrobis had the military contract. The early ones were both made by buck. The later ones were made in Spain under contract with Phrobis. This occurred before Lancay was also issued a contract and then Ontario. All this being said are ripe for any corrections.
    John