Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

USAAF "folding survival machete" CAMILLUS

Article about: Hi, I received this "folding survival machete" from the USAAF (US Army Air Force) from the manufacturer CAMILLUS many years ago. I did a little research on machetes like this. The

Default USAAF "folding survival machete" CAMILLUS

Hi,
    I received this "folding survival machete" from the USAAF (US Army Air Force) from the manufacturer CAMILLUS many years ago.

I did a little research on machetes like this.
    The machete is part of the "B-2 Jungle emergency bailout kit", which was attached to the parachute harness (in the seat bundle).
    This is a square canvas "container".
    B-2 Jungle emergency bailout kit - FIELD & PERSONAL GEAR SECTION - U.S. Militaria Forum

The machete was introduced in October 1942 and issued to bomber crews in the Pacific theater.

Manufacturers of the machete were:
    CAMILLUS, CASE, and, CATTARAUGUS

I was not previously aware that such machetes were also issued to US aircrews in the European theater of war.
    To my knowledge, other "E-kits" (emergency survival kits) were issued in Europe.
    In the meantime, however, I learned that these machetes were probably also used in the European theater of war by bomber crews of the 8th Air Force.

Folding machetes of this type were also introduced to the RAF (Royal Air Force) from 1944 onwards.
    The difference to the USAAF model was a ring attached to the end of the handle for looping a lanyard.

The British manufacturers of this machete that I know of were:
    UH. Bisby & Co. Ltd., Sheffield, Joseph Westby, Sheffield, Harrison Bros. & Howson Cutlery, Sheffield, and, G. Butler & Co., Sheffield.
    I was able to identify the brands "Broad Arrow" and the year 1945 for these manufacturers.
    Another British manufacturer is said to have been E. & C. S.
    I don't know which company this is.
    See also this post here in the forum:
    1945 British Survival Folding Machete

Back to the USAAF machetes:
    In addition to the "folding machete" with bakelite-like handle scales, there is also a version with a fixed blade and wooden handle scales.

It is estimated that around 250,000 such machetes were produced.
    I don't know whether this number refers exclusively to the three US manufacturers.

CAMILLUS alone is said to have manufactured 121,848 pieces of this machete.

What's very nice about the example I showed in this article is that the "shroud" (or metal blade protector or sheet metal guard), i.e. the blade cover that can be attached to the blade blade, is still there.
    This utensil is usually lost quite quickly.
    This cover was intended to protect not only the cutting edge of the blade, but also the soldier's fingers when opening and closing the machete.

It should also be mentioned that the US company IMPERIAL re-released the "folding machete" (probably in 1948).
    What is striking about this version is the heavily modified handle.
    I'll add photos here later in the post.

Such machetes were probably still used and "used up" until 1970.
    It is very likely that such machetes would continue to be used in the Vietnam War.

One would think that a "folding machete" would probably not be able to fulfill its operational tasks.
    In my opinion, this is a stable, usable tool.

The "Machette pliant Licaut, Namours, Belgique" may have served as a "model" for the USAAF "folding machete".

Unfortunately, the machete I presented here has been cleaned, but at least not destroyed.
    However, this must have happened some time ago, as rust (obviously "old") has already started to appear over the cleaned areas.
    The machete is also dirty elsewhere, although the reason for this is unlikely to have been found in the last week.
    I have on the www. in my research various, this, machetes in relative. found in poor condition and due to the operating conditions during the war it was inevitably unavoidable to clean this tool from time to time, more or less roughly.

All in all, my machete is a very nice piece of equipment that has found a place in my collection.

Here are the dimensions:
    Total length: 395mm
    Blade length: 253mm
    Handle length: 142mm
    Blade width: 32mm to 53mm
    Blade thickness: 4mm
    Length when folded: 285 mm
    Weight: approx. 680g

USAAF "folding survival machete"  CAMILLUSUSAAF "folding survival machete"  CAMILLUSUSAAF "folding survival machete"  CAMILLUSUSAAF "folding survival machete"  CAMILLUSUSAAF "folding survival machete"  CAMILLUSUSAAF "folding survival machete"  CAMILLUSUSAAF "folding survival machete"  CAMILLUSUSAAF "folding survival machete"  CAMILLUS

2.):
    USAAF "folding survival machete"  CAMILLUSUSAAF "folding survival machete"  CAMILLUSUSAAF "folding survival machete"  CAMILLUSUSAAF "folding survival machete"  CAMILLUSUSAAF "folding survival machete"  CAMILLUSUSAAF "folding survival machete"  CAMILLUSUSAAF "folding survival machete"  CAMILLUS

Source of the image:
    This video on youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOXi8-KnKqU

USAAF "folding survival machete"  CAMILLUS

RATHBUN
    MOLDING CORP.
    SPRING HINGE
    SALAMANCA N.Y.

A very desirable piece for blade collectors.

Some focus on combat knives and their maker variations while other collectors are more broad in their collection including pocket knives, survival machetes and other types of blades..

A very nice addition to your collection

Smitty

That's a nice example. As you mentioned, it's not often that you see one that still
    has the blade guard. Mine is missing but I do have the earlier wood handled non-foldind
    version with the guard.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Would you please show us your copy here in the thread?
    Thx. in advance,
    Ro

The only picture I have is this old one from a few years ago that
    shows it with my other aircrew survival machetes.

I can try for better pictures over the weekend.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture USAAF "folding survival machete"  CAMILLUS  
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    Some focus on combat knives and their maker variations while other collectors are more broad in their collection including pocket knives, survival machetes and other types of blades..
    Smitty
    Yes, Smitty, I deal with combat knives and military utility knives, but also other military edged weapons, including machetes for military use.

Can you guys please take a look at this thread?

Japanese Machete

Thank you !

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    The only picture I have is this old one from a few years ago that
    shows it with my other aircrew survival machetes.

I can try for better pictures over the weekend.

For comparison:

US Vietnam Era - Survival Ax / Knife - Type IV

Here, for comparison, a folding machete from the manufacturer IMPERIAL R.I. (Rhode Island), in my opinion a predecessor of the CAMILLUS' machete.
    I've also read that this model was first introduced in 1948.

Unfortunately, I'm less familiar with US edged weapons, especially since you can't really find them here in "Good Old Europe" in an "inflationary" way...

This model was also in use until the Vietnam War.
    Here is an interesting post about it:
    Two Military Trunks with Vietnam War-era Contents

The stamping on the sheath (unfortunately the holster/sheath is no longer complete...):
    MACHETE WITH SHEATH
    TYPE A-I
    NO. 48C3639

The dimensions:
    Total length: 430mm
    Handle length: 75mm
    Blade length: 550mm (450mm)
    Blade thickness: 5mm
    Blade width: 37 / 33 / 53 mm

USAAF "folding survival machete"  CAMILLUSUSAAF "folding survival machete"  CAMILLUSUSAAF "folding survival machete"  CAMILLUSUSAAF "folding survival machete"  CAMILLUSUSAAF "folding survival machete"  CAMILLUS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast