Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Utica M4 Bayonet - My Latest Addition

Article about: Here is my latest addition to my collection . While M4's are dime a dozen to get hold of cheap for my US brothers over here i can only source what is available in the local home market . Mos

?

Rick,

As they say the devil is in the detail. I too struggled to find an early m4. The one I have has a nick in the blade and mark on the cross guard which I’m not happy with but another decently priced one hasn’t come along.

I also think the parkarization on your blade looks like a newer model than the m4. The problem is that these were reworked by the US and then sold to other nations and then reworked by them as well. It would be interesting to see what it looks like under the leather washers.

I’m glad the seller was happy to play ball.

?

Quote by Alex W View Post
    Rick,

As they say the devil is in the detail. I too struggled to find an early m4. The one I have has a nick in the blade and mark on the cross guard which I’m not happy with but another decently priced one hasn’t come along.

I also think the parkarization on your blade looks like a newer model than the m4. The problem is that these were reworked by the US and then sold to other nations and then reworked by them as well. It would be interesting to see what it looks like under the leather washers.

I’m glad the seller was happy to play ball.
    Too true ,
    Even my Mrs said to me that they is no way that blade was older than my M5's , M6's or M7's , just by doing a side by side eye site compare .
    Just for the record the blade length was 175mm , not 171mm.
    The funniest thing was her quote to me whilst measuring it.
    " You can measure it 100 times and looking harder at it won't make it shrink 4mm"

Cheers Rick

Hey Rick Bugger!!!, I have this bugger that's still a mystery!!! so there ya go Mate

Rene the hand grip looks to be from a South Korean copy of the M4/M7

Hi,

the M4 bayonet was definitely revised. When and where is difficult to say.

The original blade and the latch plate have been replaced.

In the case of UTICA specimens that originally belong together, the latch plate, they come from the company's own egg production, have no or one point marking and smaller rivets. You can also see from the Peen that an exchange has been made because the "sun burst"-Marking is missing.

The blades originally have a straight runout and no curved one.

Here are a early and a late UTICA M4 with their differences.

Regards
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Utica M4 Bayonet - My Latest Addition   Utica M4 Bayonet - My Latest Addition  

Utica M4 Bayonet - My Latest Addition   Utica M4 Bayonet - My Latest Addition  

"Hey Rick Bugger!!!, I have this bugger that's still a mystery!!! so there ya go Mate
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture"

Heavily used, revised, newly phosphated and new handle scales.

Can be a US revised piece from the 1950s or 1960s or from South Korea

Rene, there's another possible origin for your bayonet, a Taiwanese T65 clone, or maybe reassembled with parts.

?

Hi everyone,

Here's another M4 with a sloping backcut replacement blade which has just popped up on eBay. This one is a Camillus and judging by the 4 on the cross guard should be a WW2 production. WW2 USA. M4 CARBINE BAYONET, CAMILUS & US M8A1 B.M. CO SCABBARD. | eBay

PS Im assuming this is an honest mistake from this seller as I've bought from him numerous times for many years and had nothing but positive dealings.

Alex
    Utica M4 Bayonet - My Latest Addition

Hi, mates,
    for comparison, here´s another M4, manufactured by UTICA

AFAIK it´s an "early" one, manufactured pre Feb. 1945.
    The sheath show´s the scabbard tip protector, introduced in 1961, as far, as I learned ...

Such bayonets "served" also in Korea, and, still, in NAM.
    Utica M4 Bayonet - My Latest AdditionUtica M4 Bayonet - My Latest AdditionUtica M4 Bayonet - My Latest AdditionUtica M4 Bayonet - My Latest AdditionUtica M4 Bayonet - My Latest AdditionUtica M4 Bayonet - My Latest AdditionUtica M4 Bayonet - My Latest AdditionUtica M4 Bayonet - My Latest AdditionUtica M4 Bayonet - My Latest Addition

I
    BN

stamped upon the mouthpiece of the scabbard.

Utica M4 Bayonet - My Latest AdditionUtica M4 Bayonet - My Latest AdditionUtica M4 Bayonet - My Latest AdditionUtica M4 Bayonet - My Latest AdditionUtica M4 Bayonet - My Latest Addition

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2