Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

Were all US MK2 fighting knives with a pin that shows on both sides of the pommel ww2 period?

Article about: I have been trying to look for ways to tell if a MK2 fighting knife (nick-named ka bar) is ww2 period and I have heard that a way to tell if the MK2 knife is ww2 period is to look if the pin

?

Default Were all US MK2 fighting knives with a pin that shows on both sides of the pommel ww2 period?

I have been trying to look for ways to tell if a MK2 fighting knife (nick-named ka bar) is ww2 period and I have heard that a way to tell if the MK2 knife is ww2 period is to look if the pin in the pommel shows on both sides. I was wondering if this was true and would really appreciate if someone here could confirm or deny that.

Thanks a ton in advance!

?

Default Is this Mk2 USMC fighting knife ww2 period?

I have done research on these and I am fairly certain I've found a mk2 that was in production in the time frame of 1943 to 1944. It is blade marked with USMC and has a straight gaurd, which is a good sign and is made by camillus. I understand that camillus made these knives in the 70s and I'm pretty sure that the font of the USMC and "Camillus,N.Y" is correct. The finish apears to be parkerized and the scabbard looks correct for ww2, having the brass staples and stitching holding the light colored leather together. The pin on the pommel shows on both sides which is also a good sign. I would love some other opinions on this piece. If you see anything spurious then I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback. I'm not an expert on these and as far as I can tell this one is ww2 period, but I wanted to make sure I'm not making an expensive mistake on this one.

As always, thanks a ton in advance!

P.S: I had to take pictures with my phone of the sellers pictures on my computer, due to not being able to download the pictures on my computer. This is why the the pictures look bad. I hope that they are enough for examination, but I'm afraid they may not be.

Were all US MK2 fighting knives with a pin that shows on both sides of the pommel ww2 period?Were all US MK2 fighting knives with a pin that shows on both sides of the pommel ww2 period?Were all US MK2 fighting knives with a pin that shows on both sides of the pommel ww2 period?Were all US MK2 fighting knives with a pin that shows on both sides of the pommel ww2 period?

?

Uh oh, some of the pictures were turned upside down. I'll see what I can do to try to fix that.

I found an old artical about Camilus MK2. If I read it right,
    I think that a black handle and a straight guard dates it to between 1962 and 1974.
    In 1975 Camilus dropped the NY from the name. Prier to 1962, the guard was curved.
    So Vietnam era.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

?

Quote by Chopperman View Post
    I found an old artical about Camilus MK2. If I read it right,
    I think that a black handle and a straight guard dates it to between 1962 and 1974.
    In 1975 Camilus dropped the NY from the name. Prier to 1962, the guard was curved.
    So Vietnam era.
    Thanks for the response, Greg! Thanks for pointing that out, I learn something new everyday!
    A quick question: were scabbards made during ww2 held together with staples or round rivets?

Quote by Ethan View Post
    Thanks for the response, Greg! Thanks for pointing that out, I learn something new everyday!
    A quick question: were scabbards made during ww2 held together with staples or round rivets?
    I believe that ww2 era scabbards had 9 round rivets. Vietnam era knives had
    only 7 round rivets.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.