Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

ww1 British sword I.D please

Article about: Good evening Can any one advise me please on this sword ? I believe it is a 1908 pattern british sword , but it has a handle pattern i have never seen before

Default ww1 British sword I.D please

Good evening

Can any one advise me please on this sword ?

I believe it is a 1908 pattern british sword , but it has a handle pattern i have never seen before
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture ww1 British sword I.D please   ww1 British sword I.D please  

ww1 British sword I.D please  

?

It's the 1908 pattern cavalry other ranks sword. Still used for ceremonial purposes.

BobS

Quite correct. An interesting sword in that it represents the end of the line in terms of British cavalry sword design development. It was designed when mounted cavalry were already obsolete and was really symbolic of the final victory of thrust over cut, in terms of cavalry sword design and light years away from the 1796 Light Cavalry sabre. All you can do with this sword is thrust, and should you become dismounted, throw it away and draw your revolver would be best advice.

Thank you

The grip is different from others i have seen being made from alloy , the others seem to be made from bakalite or a wood type material and also there is no slot in the guard for the leather wrist strap

Not in hand with limited views what this one seems to suggest is the "Gymnasia" 1911 pattern practice sword and/or a variant. Best Regards, Fred