Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

1939 UK Register as a research tool for Civil Defence Members

Article about: This topic is in response to a reply I posted in the thread here: https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/helme...warden-692261/ During some of my own research I had realised that the 1939 Registry r

Default 1939 UK Register as a research tool for Civil Defence Members

This topic is in response to a reply I posted in the thread here:
    Mk2 Brodie: 'Warden'

During some of my own research I had realised that the 1939 Registry records on Ancestry might be quite useful in determining the ownership of Civil Defence items that have, until now proved illusive. Below is the text from ancestry that will explain the background of the original register, the use for us collectors should become obvious.

Historical Context

Initially taken due to the onset of war with the purpose of producing National Identity Cards, the register later came to be multi-functional, first as an aid in the use of ration books and later helping officials record the movement of the civilian population over the following decades and from 1948, as the basis for the National Health Service Register. The 1939 Register is an extremely important genealogical resource, not only for the rich detail and information recorded for each person and household, but also in helping to bridge a thirty-year gap in census data. The census taken in 1931 was destroyed during the Second World War and no census was carried out in 1941 due to the ongoing conflict. The register, as held by The National Archives, contains data only for England and Wales and does not include records from households in Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man.

Organisation of the Registers

Enumerators collected the data on 29th September 1939. Volumes were organised by place (District or County - see codes below) and then by Enumeration District, represented by a four or five letter code followed by two numbers. These codes were largely based on the 1931 census enumeration units.

Letter Codes for Boroughs and Districts:

RD - Rural District
    UD - Urban District
    MB - Municipal Borough
    CB - County Borough
    Met B - Metropolitan Borough
    What can I find in these records? (where available):

Name
    Date of Birth
    Marital Status
    Occupation
    Whether Visitor, Officer, Servant, Patient or Inmate
    Inferred family members
    Other members of the household

Sometimes, you may see extra information on the right-hand side of the image, such as whether an individual had volunteered as an air raid warden. Some records include names crossed out with another name written in an annotation above or at the side, signifying the tracking of the population over time with the addition of women's married names and other name changes over the years.

Redactions

Images have been redacted to protect the privacy of those still alive and we will be annually adding records for those with birth dates older than 100 years or if a record of the death has been reported to The National Archives. Images will also be updated to reflect the opening of the record. All indexes have been created from redacted images as provided by The National Archives and as such, some indexes may not include all information as originally recorded, where it is obscured from view.

Good point. It seems obvious but it never occurred to me.

Thanks for the tip

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Good point. It seems obvious but it never occurred to me.

Thanks for the tip

Regards

Mark
    Me neither, I hadn't really examined it before. Always having something else in a different direction to look into.