Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Attempting to research my great grandfather

Article about: Hello everyone, I wasn't very sure where to put this, as my great grandfather, Gerard van de Zweerde, was not in world war 2, but was fighting for the Dutch east indies in the Indonesian Nat

?

Default Attempting to research my great grandfather

Hello everyone,

I wasn't very sure where to put this, as my great grandfather, Gerard van de Zweerde, was not in world war 2, but was fighting for the Dutch east indies in the Indonesian National Revolution on the side of the Dutch. He was one of the 5000 voluntary marines and was in the military up until i believe about the 70's or 80's but moved to the airforce after the Indonesian National Revolution.

I have a lot of items left over from him, pictures he took while he was there and medals. Unfortunately he threw away his uniform after the war and lived with PTSD for the rest of his life. Even though he started heavily drinking after the war he didn't die young, only succumbing to old age I believe about 10-11 years.

I hope someone could provide me with any information on him. Here is everything I have;

Gerard van De Zweerde
    Awards: Medal for order and peace (bar for 1946 and for 1947), Medal for long service (silver), Medal for long service (gold).

These are the ones that I know of. There may be more, however my grandmother still has these in various jewelry boxes of her.
    I also have 2 golden pins with the weapon of the Netherlands on it, assume this was just for decoration on reunions etc?

Hope someone can help me out, pictures will follow.

Regards,
    Bas

?

Edit; I also have this ribbon that I think MAY be the honorable mention but I think it's too bright? its a deep orange colour, green in the middle, then the orange again. Like I said, pictures will follow tomorrow.