Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Composition and roles of US Army ordnance battalions in WWII

Article about: Hello. I am currently working on a few projects at the moment involving veterans that I have known over the years but I was wondering If anyone could help me with the breakdown of the US Arm

Default Composition and roles of US Army ordnance battalions in WWII

Hello.

I am currently working on a few projects at the moment involving veterans that I have known over the years but I was wondering If anyone could help me with the breakdown of the US Army Ordnance Battalions?

In particular, the 310th Ordnance Battalion - I don't know if anyone would be familiar with it, I have done extensive research but there is limited material online about it, but I do have a limited amount of correspondence and original photographs.

My first question would be, what is the role of an Ordnance battalion? From what I gather, It is more behind the lines in terms of maintenance of vehicles , logistics etc as opposed to a frontline unit.

I believe that the 310th Ordnance Battalion consisted of 6 companies, x3 Ord Depot Co's and one of each , MM (Medium Maintenance) , MVD and MAM. Anyone know what the last two stand for?

Lastly and most importantly, typically what would the day to day role be of someone in an 'Ordnance Depot Company' during WWII? From my understanding, they would of provided Class II and IV ordnance general supplies so things like weaponry, clothing as well as construction materials. Would it be reasonable to say that for technicians in an Ordnance depot company it would be more of a desk type role?

Sorry for all the questions, I started this project many years ago as someone who I am writing about served in an Ordnance Depot Company and there is very little information about what his actual role was. I don't want to put this on hold for much longer.

Hi there.

Your project sounds really interesting.

This is really not an area I am familiar with, but I had a search and found the below links.

Composition and roles of US Army ordnance battalions in WWII

The story of Ordnance in the ETO -
    Lone Sentry: Flaming Bomb: The Story of Ordnance in the ETO -- WWII G.I. Stories Booklet

The Ordnance Department on the Beachhead and Battlefront -
    https://history.army.mil/html/books/..._Pub_10-11.pdf

The Ordnance Department -
    Chapter 14 - The Ordnance Department: On Beachhead and Battlefront

Kind regards,

Will.

Hi I'm Rob, my grandfather was in the 332nd ordnance depot company, 310th ordnance battalion. I' may be able to help!!

Rob Riley
    Last edited by Willmore; 05-29-2023 at 05:41 PM.

Hey Rob!

Been a while - how you doing?

I don't use social media these days, found it a bit too much of a distraction - but your welcome to contact me on here or perhaps email - how's your project going?

I'm still a bit stumped.

One activity Ordnance battalions were responsible for was the repair of damaged weapons. Not got anything specifically on your unit.

I'm doing good. Wish this thing gave me alerts when there was a message, sorry it took so long to get back to you.

I did find out some more about the battalion. There was an engineers regimental history that i located that was loaning a quickway crane out to the 310th so i can somewhat sort of track locations based on that. So, we can now, somewhat loosely, figure out where they went and when.

Answering your questions in the initial post, MVD is Motor Vehicle Depot. The 310th controlled the entire 1st Army Motorpool. MAM is Medium Automotive Maintenance. I have a handwritten list of these companies somewhere on my bookshelf.

the 310th was part of the larger 72nd Ordnance Group. The 310th was entirely a vehicle centric battalion from what i can tell. They were mechanics, welders, drivers and equipment operators, etc. they focused on vehicle disbursement, recovery, repair, issuing out parts and supplies to maintain vehicles and things like that. of course there would also be administration, clerks etc for each of the companies as well.

?

Hi,
    I'm looking for info on the 310th ordnance battalion, including before they were deployed. Would you be up for sharing photos and any other info?

Hey Rector,

Are you looking for just some general info or are you looking for specific info on one of the companies within the battalion?

They were located in and around, Somerset, England prior to Overlord. They landed at Omaha Beach D+14 and assumed all ordnance duties for 1st army, relieving units already set up on the beach head.

The 310th was in charge of the 1st army motorpool and was made up of 4 primary companies. They moved along with the army through France, Belgium, The Netherlands and Germany.

During the bulge they were set up in the town of Aywaille, Belgium.