Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Family history sucess story: 78 Sqd RAF: Operation Crossbow info wanted please?

Article about: Sorry I missed his name! Here is the pic of my relative's grave, care of Dirk in Germany. Cheers, Ade.

Default re: Family history sucess story: 78 Sqd RAF: Operation Crossbow info wanted please?

Sorry I missed his name!

Here is the pic of my relative's grave, care of Dirk in Germany.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Family history sucess story: 78 Sqd RAF: Operation Crossbow info wanted please?  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Default re: Family history sucess story: 78 Sqd RAF: Operation Crossbow info wanted please?

Casualty Details:

Name: HICKLING, GEORGE EDWARD
    Initials: G E
    Nationality: United Kingdom
    Regiment/Service: Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
    Unit Text: 78 Sqdn.
    Date of Death: 27/09/1943
    Service No: 155088
    Additional information: Son of Lawrence Henry and Ethel Hickling, of Nottingham; husband of Lily Elizabeth Hickling, of Nottingham.
    Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
    Grave/Memorial Reference: Coll. grave 3. E. 10-13.
    Cemetery: HANOVER WAR CEMETERY
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Default Family history sucess story: 78 Sqd RAF: Operation Crossbow info wanted please?

The crash site today, care of Dirk.

I am the first relative to contact Dirk, who has been researching this crash for years, so he very pleased to make contact. He has been a great help and very kindly sent me these pics.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Family history sucess story: 78 Sqd RAF: Operation Crossbow info wanted please?   Family history sucess story: 78 Sqd RAF: Operation Crossbow info wanted please?  

Family history sucess story: 78 Sqd RAF: Operation Crossbow info wanted please?   Family history sucess story: 78 Sqd RAF: Operation Crossbow info wanted please?  

Maps and Google earth postition of the crash.

One day I will visit the site and his grave to pay my respects.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Family history sucess story: 78 Sqd RAF: Operation Crossbow info wanted please?   Family history sucess story: 78 Sqd RAF: Operation Crossbow info wanted please?  

Some wonderful scans of the original German documentation re the crash and recovery of the crew's remains. Once again, my thanks to Dirk.

Default Re: Family history sucess story: 78 Sqd RAF: Operation Crossbow info wanted please?

Here he is in happier times pre war with his wife, Lilly.

His wife later remarried and moved to the USA. She passed away in 2009.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Family history sucess story: 78 Sqd RAF: Operation Crossbow info wanted please?  

Default Re: Family history sucess story: 78 Sqd RAF: Operation Crossbow info wanted please?

Fantastic Ade. This adds so much more to your family's history.
    I really like the sentiment on his headstone.

Have to ask if you have brothers, sisters or children who are
    interested all your research ? You've done a ton
    of work........
    Regards,

Steve.

Hi Steve, actually I am an only child. But my Son and the wider family are really interested in all the discoveries I have made.

Some more to come later on another family member.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2