Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Hand writing comparison

Article about: G'day All, I've had this Australian Tunic for a long time and have only just started digging up on the fella! His service number written in on the tunic tag VX16839 GJ Gillard doesn't match

?

The same details appear crossed out (under the purple ink).. I think.

It is far more likely that a hurried, over-worked clerk should get his number wrong than him!

Lovely tunic René.
    Cheers.

Cheers Fellas, sure is a head scratcher!

?

It's all good fun though trying to figure it out

This is all very interesting! I really hope it is your guy.

I want to start out saying I'm in no way a handwritting expert. But, I am a teacher and often have to identify who's unnamed paper is who's based on previous documents, or analyizing their unsigned notes when they threaten to harm themselves or others. I've gotten pretty decent at it. Here's my opinions just solely based on the handwriting of the numbers and last name written on the tunic and document. The numbers don't look like they were written by the same person. The 8s to me don't look like the same handwritting. Notice on the document that neither of the 8s have the tops connected and leaves a gap on the right sides; the top-left curve of the 8s come to a point then cut back in at a sharper angle while making a slight upward arc too, and the bottom "o" shape of the 8s while smaller than the top is not significantly smaller. Versus the 8s on the tunic where both 8s are closed at the top, do not come as much to a point on the top-left curve while its angled line toward the middle connection point doesn't cut as sharp and bulges slightly out instead of in, and then its 8s bottom "o" shapes look quite a bit smaller in comparison to its upper half. The 6s in both look different to me. The 6 on the document has more of a straight up-and-down line, then loop-around ends decently high on the "y-axis" of the line, not coming to much of a tight "o" shape. Versus the 6 on the tunic where its main line is not as straight up-and-down but more upper-right to lower-left diagonal, the cut-back toward the right to start the curve begins almost halfway up the 6 even with the top-most curve of the "o" shape, then the closed "o" shape itself ends much further down and actually on the sitting base of the 6, making its enclosure much smaller. As far as the 9s go, the document has a straight-up-and-down line for the stick part versus the slanted upper-right to lower-left diagonal of its stick.

However, the printed last name on the document and the tunic both share similarities in the As and Rs the most, but hold close relations to the Ls as well in my opinion. In both the tunic and the document, the ILLAR all slant slightly to the right on both pieces, especially on its vertical up-and-down lines on the letters. In addition to the vertical lines, both Ls on the document and tunic have a slight "hump" to its base horizontal line, though it is more exaggerated on the tunic. The As on both pieces have where the left up-and-down line sticks up slightly where they started the A, went down with their pen then traveled back up the same line to go up and make the top part of the A, which is both rounded at the tops instead of points. With both items the Rs have its upper-right humps higher than the rest of the R, then curves in toward the vertical line both hitch slightly up while still not touching that vertical line, then the diagonal line going toward the right both end lower than the original vertical line on the left. The Gs and the Ds are what look so much different to me on the two items.

The question is, how much different does writing on cloth versus writing on paper make your handwritting?

Thank You Kindly LoyalHistorian for taking the time for your in depth analysis Mate much appreciated.

The army no also was written using a different writing utensil than the rest of the form. Mr Gillard's writing is very crisp and the ink is narrow on the page. The Army no is more faint and the ink is wider. If that makes any sense at all I'm probably not explaining what I see very well! Haha. But i think we are all in consensus that this is the same guy and a portion of the page was filled out my some one else.

Very neat Rene thanks for letting us play detective with you!
    Last edited by 08SMLE48; 07-06-2020 at 02:24 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote by 08SMLE48 View Post
    The army no also was written using a different writing utensil than the rest of the form. Mr Gillard's writing is very crisp and the ink is narrow on the page. The Army no is more faint and the ink is wider. If that makes any sense at all I'm probably not explaining what I see very well! Haha. But i think we are all in consensus that this is the same guy and a portion of the page was filled out my some one else.

Very neat Rene thanks for letting us play detective with you!
    Not a problem Thank You Mate

Quote by Ubique View Post
    He was a grocer around the Eastern Suburbs before retiring to Cowes where he passed away in 2008.
    I actually live in the same suburb and his former address is a 15min walk from here! and I obtained the tunic from an old guy (not this Fella) at the Mornigton Peninsula.

MAP
    ?

Messed up serial numbers would not surprise me at all.

Somewhat unrelated. I bought out a vets estate a few years back. He shipped home 4 German ammo crates to the same address. On each crate he wrote his own name and serial number. But even he messed it up and reversed two of the numbers of his own serial number on one of the crates
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Messed up serial numbers would not surprise me at all.

Somewhat unrelated. I bought out a vets estate a few years back. He shipped home 4 German ammo crates to the same address. On each crate he wrote his own name and serial number. But even he messed it up and reversed two of the numbers of his own serial number on one of the crates
    Cheers Michael it is related and helps Thanks Mate

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2