Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Help! Looking for name of German forest (battlefield)

Article about: Hi all, I had a good chat with my uncle Joe this evening, and he told me a pretty grusome story about a particular battle in a forest in Germany in 1945. He told me how they'd stopped the ta

Default Help! Looking for name of German forest (battlefield)

Hi all,

I had a good chat with my uncle Joe this evening, and he told me a pretty grusome story about a particular battle in a forest in Germany in 1945.

He told me how they'd stopped the tank at a cross roads in the forest to read the map and take a leak! Joe said he was leaning on the side of the tank looking at his map, when he felt something drip on his bare arm. He looked up, and in the trees above him was HALF of a German sniper!! Joe said he almost freaked out and franticly rubbed the cold blood off his forearm!!

Anyway, I asked him which area of Germany this happened, but all he could recall was it was shortly after crossing the Rhine, and the forest was called the 'Ricewold Forest'. I've tried to find some information online, but I've come up with nothing. Do any of you guys know where Joe is referring to?

Cheers guys,
    Lee

Default Re: Help! Looking for name of German forest (battlefield)

Woody, Could the name be Reichwald? Sounds more German to me and probably would be generally generic, worth a try tho. Good luck John

Quote by johnhmcgary View Post
    Woody, Could the name be Reichwald? Sounds more German to me and probably would be generally generic, worth a try tho. Good luck John
    Of course! It's been a long day!! That makes perfect sense now,

Thanks for rescuing - my already shagged out brain, from complete shut down!

Lee

?

Lee the fighting in the Reichswald was particulary unpleasant , it is now the location for one of the main concentration cemeteries for the fighting there and the Rhine Crossing .
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hi Paul,

Joe never fails to amaze me! I'm learning more about his wartime activities every day! I've just been reading about the 11th Armoured Divsion.... bloody hell!!!! They fought in some ferocious battles! Joe makes out that it was just a stroll in the park!

I'm gonna have to research the 151 field regiment in fine detail to get a good account from Joe. He was fightin SS Panzer Divsions, fighting in Falaise, Hill 112, Arnhem, Reichwold!! Absolutely amazing!!

'The charging bull'

?

The Charging Bull indeed Lee those boys were right in where the muck , blood and bullets were flying !!!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

?

It's why i have the utmost respect for the older generation , old boys and gals now but what were they doing 60-65 years ago !!!

1st July 1916

Woody, Sounds like Joe is getting up there in years, just thank him and remember he was once young and probably gave up much of his youth for his country. Find out as much as you can from him and research. Good luck and happy hunting. John

Quote by Paul E View Post
    The Charging Bull indeed Lee those boys were right in where the muck , blood and bullets were flying !!!
    Haha, he mentioned something like that this evening (Joe comes to my house every Wednesday for tea)

"Waist deep in muck and bullets"

Then he laughed, and said "that's what we used to say"!!! The guy is just amazing!!! I mean his laid back approach really blows my mind!!! Sounds like he was like that in the field though.... apparently he was always getting into trouble!! Haha!! If he wasn't snapping someones rifle with the tank turret, he was driving the tank into ditches, or old ladies living rooms!!