Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help on Mario R. Madeira service history

Article about: Hi, I have some data on this Portuguese gentleman who enlisted in the US Army as a Pvt in Massachusetts. Can someone please help, i am looking for his service history, medals, exact campaign

Default Help on Mario R. Madeira service history

Hi,

I have some data on this Portuguese gentleman who enlisted in the US Army as a Pvt in Massachusetts.
    Can someone please help, i am looking for his service history, medals, exact campaign where he perished in Europe, etc.…

Thank you all for the possible help.

Regards
    Antonio
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help on Mario R. Madeira service history   Help on Mario R. Madeira service history  

Default The riddle continues.

Greetings Antonio,

Could not find anything relevant to your questions about Mario’s service (on Fold3, Ancestry.com, or Newsapers.com). That said, I did find an online (circa 1952) 690th FA Bn’s unit history here http://usarmygermany.com/Units/Field...Bn_History.pdf Starting on page 18, the unit history mentions the unit was transitioned from field artillery’s missions to providing security platoons for use in stabilizing the city of Aachen and a suburb of Aachen, Eilendorf.

It would appear the unit was conducting this new security mission when the Battle of the Bulge started. There is a mention that on December 17th (the same day as Mario’s listed death) Aachen, “was put under stringent military control” as part of a defense plan. However, the northernmost portion of the “Bulge” was 15-20 miles south, so I doubt they saw any significant participation during this famous Battle.

In the 1952 (shared) history there is no mention of their conversion back to a field artillery unit only that they continued their work with the military government in their security role.

While only an assumption, based on the unit’s conversion and Mario’s date of death, it would appear he was somehow killed in action (KIA) while serving during the unit’s security force’s capacity. How exactly remains unknown.

Interestingly, there exists a 1945 version of the 690th FA Bn’s history. From a few of the online images, which are posted (see here WWII - Album on Imgur ) there is mention of an “In Memoriam” page, which may have Mario’s name listed. I was not able to view that portion of the 1945’s unit history version. Likely, it would be a “tribute to the honored dead” listing and not reference specifics behind the listed individual’s deaths. But, never say never.

Interestingly, on the last page of the last shared page of the unit’s 1945 history that page lists participation in the “Ardennes Counter Offensive,” which is confusing due to the nature to the unit’s security force mission. That’s not to impinge upon the claim, just odd that it is displayed in the 1945 unit’s history and not mentioned in the slightest circa 1952’s version.

I wish I had been able to find more content related towards your queries, but felt it was worth at least sharing what I had found.

I wish you much luck and look forward to your and others updates.

Best,

V/r Lance

P.S. I assume the daily reports of the 690th FA Bn are located in the National Archives’ microfilm collection. You or your agent would need to visit the archives (currently, closed due to the pandemic) in order to access them. They would possess the explanation (however brief) on what happened to Mario as contemporarily recorded by his assigned unit.

Quote by MilitariaOne View Post
    Greetings Antonio,

Could not find anything relevant to your questions about Mario’s service (on Fold3, Ancestry.com, or Newsapers.com). That said, I did find an online (circa 1952) 690th FA Bn’s unit history here http://usarmygermany.com/Units/Field...Bn_History.pdf Starting on page 18, the unit history mentions the unit was transitioned from field artillery’s missions to providing security platoons for use in stabilizing the city of Aachen and a suburb of Aachen, Eilendorf.

It would appear the unit was conducting this new security mission when the Battle of the Bulge started. There is a mention that on December 17th (the same day as Mario’s listed death) Aachen, “was put under stringent military control” as part of a defense plan. However, the northernmost portion of the “Bulge” was 15-20 miles south, so I doubt they saw any significant participation during this famous Battle.

In the 1952 (shared) history there is no mention of their conversion back to a field artillery unit only that they continued their work with the military government in their security role.

While only an assumption, based on the unit’s conversion and Mario’s date of death, it would appear he was somehow killed in action (KIA) while serving during the unit’s security force’s capacity. How exactly remains unknown.

Interestingly, there exists a 1945 version of the 690th FA Bn’s history. From a few of the online images, which are posted (see here WWII - Album on Imgur ) there is mention of an “In Memoriam” page, which may have Mario’s name listed. I was not able to view that portion of the 1945’s unit history version. Likely, it would be a “tribute to the honored dead” listing and not reference specifics behind the listed individual’s deaths. But, never say never.

Interestingly, on the last page of the last shared page of the unit’s 1945 history that page lists participation in the “Ardennes Counter Offensive,” which is confusing due to the nature to the unit’s security force mission. That’s not to impinge upon the claim, just odd that it is displayed in the 1945 unit’s history and not mentioned in the slightest circa 1952’s version.

I wish I had been able to find more content related towards your queries, but felt it was worth at least sharing what I had found.

I wish you much luck and look forward to your and others updates.

Best,

V/r Lance

P.S. I assume the daily reports of the 690th FA Bn are located in the National Archives’ microfilm collection. You or your agent would need to visit the archives (currently, closed due to the pandemic) in order to access them. They would possess the explanation (however brief) on what happened to Mario as contemporarily recorded by his assigned unit.
    Hi Lance,

Thank you so much for all your time in digging all this wonderful information.
    Fantastic stuff.

This is Mario Madeiras`s Service draft form.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help on Mario R. Madeira service history