Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

I'm looking for some info on my great uncle

Article about: Hi there I am trying to do some research on my great uncle his name was Ervin Leon Paskiewicz was a a First Sergeant in the 82nd Chemical Mortar Battalion that served in the pacific. I am lo

Default I'm looking for some info on my great uncle

Hi there I am trying to do some research on my great uncle his name was Ervin Leon Paskiewicz was a a First Sergeant in the 82nd Chemical Mortar Battalion that served in the pacific. I am looking for his service record. He served in the army, he was born in 1919 and died in 2001. Any help in appreciated.

Cal

Greetings Cal,

If a hard copy is not in the possession of a relative. In order to obtain his Service Records/Discharge Papers you will need to fill out an SF180 as discussed in Smitty's sticky thread at the head of this forum A Tutorial on how to search for US Service Members Records from the National Archives (NARA) If you look mid-way down through his excellent tutorial you can see how to accomplish this on your own. Additionally, NARA has had COVID related challenges so a request may remain on hold or take a while to receive a response.

Unless a relative (or the individual) has uploaded his/her discharge's paperwork to Ancestry, Fold3 or there is mention of their service in a newspaper's article as found on Newspapers.com there is no online source (via paywall or otherwise) for these records to be remotely viewed. That said, I have looked on all of these mentioned sites and other than his obituary (Newspapers.com), which only glibly references his WWII Service and a memorial page (with the same info you referenced) on Fold3, there is absolutely nothing referencing his time with or association to the 82nd CMB.

Lastly, you may attempt to contact the webmaster at this website 82nd Chemical Mortar Bn as they may possess a unit roster or additional (read: unmined) source for your research.

Best,

V/r Lance

Thanks so much I don't have a hard copy I think his service record was destroyed in one of the fires. What I do have is his diary he kept and some papers from him being attached to the 23rd Infantry Division. Thanks for you help. I actually transcribed his diary and have it in paper now.

Cal

Not much but here is his draft registration
    I'm looking for some info on my great uncle
    "Youth would be an ideal state if it came a little later in life" - Herbert Henry Asqulth