Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

More details for Canadian WW2 Army veteran

Article about: Hello, my grandfather is a WW2 Army veteran. I am trying to obtain additional details on what he or his unit may have experienced when he was overseas. Any information at all, or a link to w

Default More details for Canadian WW2 Army veteran

Hello, my grandfather is a WW2 Army veteran. I am trying to obtain additional details on what he or his unit may have experienced when he was overseas. Any information at all, or a link to where I could find more details, would be extremely helpful
    Here are the details that I have so far.
    March 1943 (or March 1944) - conscripted into the Canadian Army, issued uniforms, sent to Sorel, Quebec for training. Then transferred to Atlantic Canada.
    June 1944 - assigned to the Regiment of Chateauguay, sent to Labrador (Newfoundland)
    January 1945 - travelled from Halifax, Nova Scotia, to England, still with the Regiment of Chateauguay
    January 1945 - two weeks later, sent across the English Channel to join the Regiment of Maisonneuve
    November 1945 - returns to Canada after the War safe
    March 1946 - discharged from the Army

Regiment of Chateauguay disbanded in January '45 while still in Canada. They were part of the 7th Division... Home Guard I think.
    Regiment of Maisonneuve in '44 was very depleted from harsh fighting in the battle of the Scheldt. He was more than likely a new replacement for fighting in the Netherlands. He might have been there for the Battle of Groningen, which was the largest urban operation for Canadian Troops in WW2.
    Canadian Forces - Canada's Le Regiment de Maisonneuve

http://www.ancienscombattantsquebeco...aisonneuve.pdf

The Netherlands - Canada at War

http://scholars.wlu.ca/cgi/viewconte...29&context=cmh

Lots of information out there. There is just a few sights there I thought were interesting...

Thank you. I was wondering if anyone can tell me approximately how many soldiers were a part of the Regiment de Maisonneuve during World War 2? I believe it was a few thousand, but I'm not very sure about it.

you might try looking for a Regimental History of the Maisonneuve