Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Named British Pattern 1912 Cavalry Sword

Article about: Any suggestions to researching a partial name? Picked up a Pattern 1912 cavalry sword. The basket has what is clearly Lieut., an undecipherable first initial, and then the surname of COM, I

Default Named British Pattern 1912 Cavalry Sword

Any suggestions to researching a partial name? Picked up a Pattern 1912 cavalry sword. The basket has what is clearly Lieut., an undecipherable first initial, and then the surname of COM, I believe an E, LEY for COMELEY (if I am correct). Sword has the George V cipher and the brown leather scabbard. I would also say it could be Australian, or Canadian, so I am open to all suggestions. With 26,000 British officers in 1914, I am hoping being cavalry will narrow it down.

Thank you.

Mathieu

Quote by Mathieu K View Post
    Any suggestions to researching a partial name? Picked up a Pattern 1912 cavalry sword. The basket has what is clearly Lieut., an undecipherable first initial, and then the surname of COM, I believe an E, LEY for COMELEY (if I am correct). Sword has the George V cipher and the brown leather scabbard. I would also say it could be Australian, or Canadian, so I am open to all suggestions. With 26,000 British officers in 1914, I am hoping being cavalry will narrow it down.

Thank you.

Mathieu
    It's the old "needle in a haystack" thing I'm afraid. Unless there is other associated info such as a regiment etc then I think you will be lucky to find anything. If it is cavalry rather than infantry yes that does narrow it down but only in relative terms. With the details you have despite the name being less common than Smith or Jones I think that the odds are massively against being able to conclusively link to anything let alone the original owner. Every single officer owned a sword and such items did change hands.

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 05-18-2022 at 08:23 AM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thank you for the reply, but I actually think I found him. Not Comeley, but rather Edward Combley, The Queen's Own West Kent Yeomanry. I don't believe he left England.

?

Sorry I can't help with the research,
    But I would love to see the sword????

Semper Fi
    Phil