Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Research on AC Gunner Arthur Franzetti

Article about: Hello all, I'm doing some research on the ASN stamped on a canteen pouch. The ASN reads: 18155384 and belonged to Arthur Angelo Franzetti. I visited the usual websites and searched through a

Default Research on AC Gunner Arthur Franzetti

Hello all,

I'm doing some research on the ASN stamped on a canteen pouch. The ASN reads: 18155384 and belonged to Arthur Angelo Franzetti. I visited the usual websites and searched through all kinds of military reports available online. A brief summery below. Some important details about his missions is mentioned in the Austin American Statesman, but I can't access it because I don't have a credit card needed for the registration. Here in Holland the usage of credit cards is not common. For online payments we use a system called iDeal and our debet card. This problem also aplies for sites like ancestry, etc.
    Is there an other way to acces these archives? And if not could someone acces it for me? The article I need is in the Austin American-Statesman of 20 Jul 1944: Austin American-Statesman 20 Jul 1944, page 8 - Newspapers.com.

Brief summary on Arthur A. Franzetti (1922 - 2009):
    He enlisted in august 1942 in San Antonio Texas and left for England in dec 1943. He joined the 334th Bombardemt Squadron, 98th Bombardement Group as a ball turrent Gunner from a B24 Liberator. In february 1944 he received a Purple Heart. He flew missions in North-Africa and Italy. Somewhere in june he transferred to the 702d Bomb Squadron, 2d Air division, Eighth Air force and flew with the first wave of attacking bombers on D-day. In july 1944 he got wounded during a mission in France and received a Purple Heart. In total he flew 50 mission. He also received several Air Medals and the Distinguished Flying Cross

Default Austin American Statesman Jul 20, 1944

Voila!

Best Regards,

V/r Lance

Double click on image to enlarge.

Default Austin American Statesman Sep 22, 1944.

And another article from the same paper.

Best,

V/r Lance

P.S. Here is his Find-A-Grave page: Arthur A Franzetti (1922-2009) - Find a Grave Memorial

Double click image to enlarge.

Default Austin American Statesman Jul 24, 2009.

And his obituary.

Best,

V/r Lance

Double click image to enlarge.

Exactly what I needed, many thanks!

Hey you all,

Meanwhile I continued with my research on Arthur Franzetti, combining pieces of information scattered all over the internet(archives). Your help in the previous posts proved to be a big addition. Still there are some things unclear to me, perhaps you could help me with that. I posted these things right after the overview below of the information I collected on Arthur Angelo Franzetti so far.

Arthur Angelo Franzetti
    ASN 18155384

General information

Born 07/20/1922, Died 7/4/2009
    Buried at Cook-Walden Capital Parks Cemetery and Mausoleum, Pflugerville, Travis, TX
    Wife Charlotte Louise Sheplor (1923-2001)
    Son Ronnie Franzetti; Son John Franzetti; Daughter Sanda Jean Franzetti
    Father Angelo Franzetti; Mother Giuditta Franzetti
    Brother Joe C. Franzetti; Brother Louis J. Franzetti; Sister Julia F. (Franzetti ) McWorter

Research on AC Gunner Arthur Franzetti Research on AC Gunner Arthur Franzetti
    The canteen with the ASN from Arthur Franzetti & a photo of Arthur Franzetti in the local newspaper

Career

Till 1942
    Employed at his brothers, Joe C. Franzetti’s, grocery store (the Franzetti family owned several grocery stores in town)

1941/1942
    Attended the Texas University

August 1942
    Enlisted in the Air Corps as pvt at San Antonio TX. Received training in gunnery armament at the Lowry Air Force Base, Col.

December 1943
    Leaves for the European theater. Assigned to the 344th bombardment squadron stationed in Italy.
    Arthur flies with the B24 Liberator as an armorer gunner and ball turret gunner. In the upcoming 4 months Arthur participates in 25 missions over France, Austria, Germany, Czechoslovakia, Hungary and Romania.

February 15, 1944
    Receives a Purple Heart, registered by HQ 98th Bombardment Group

February 24, 1944
    His formation is heavily attacked above Austria. Arthur is wounded on hand and arm. Receives a Purple Heart with Oak Leaf Cluster, registered by HQ 98th Bombardment Group

June 6, 1944
    Participates in the first wave of attacking bombers on D-Day

July 1944
    Is wounded above France. Receives a Purple Heart and the Air Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster, registered by HQ 2nd Bombardment Division

August 1944
    Receives the Distinguished Flying Cross, registered by HQ 2nd Bombardment Division. In the record Arthur is referred to as Staff Sergeant.

Late ?, 1944
    Awarded the Air Medal three times, registered by HQ 15th Air Force

Upon his return he flew 50 missions as a ball turret gunner in the B24.

1957 – 2004 Worked as a salesman for Certified Laboratories, Irving TX

However....There are some unsolved issues....

First:I have read almost all documentation freely available in online archives/websites on the 344th bomb. sq, like flight reports, muster rolls, etc. There is detailed information on the crews in the squadron, like names and flight formations. But I never came across the name Arthur Franzetti, he is never mentioned in any crew. Did flight crews change composition often?

Second: Looking at his medals and missions, it looks like he started at the 98th bomb. grp. Then reassigned to the 2nd bomb. Div. during Overlord. Then reassigned back to the 98th bomb. grp. /15th Air force. Is this credible and correct?

Third: I a found a photo from a flight crew from the 344th bomb. sq. One of the crew members brears a strong resemblance to Arthur Franzetti I believe, see photograph below, front row, 3rd from the right. The back of the photo is signed with the names of the crew. Arthur Franzetti was an armorer and ball turret gunner. The armorer signed with Arthur "Art", but his surname is unreadable to me. Could someone decipher it?

Research on AC Gunner Arthur FranzettiResearch on AC Gunner Arthur Franzetti
    The guy in front row, 3rd from the right bears a strong resemblance to the photo of Arthur Franzetti's photo from the newspaper.

Signatures on the back of the photograph. Enlarged signature of the armorer 'Arthur' on the back of the photograph.