Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sgt. Major Robert Leo Troutman

Article about: Sgt. Major Robert Leo Troutman (or Trautman) was my great great uncle, who served during WWII. Before the war in the 1930s, he commanded the 6th Indiana field artillery. During the war, he s

Default Sgt. Major Robert Leo Troutman

Sgt. Major Robert Leo Troutman (or Trautman) was my great great uncle, who served during WWII. Before the war in the 1930s, he commanded the 6th Indiana field artillery. During the war, he served in France, the Ardennes, and Germany. He received a purple heart, two bronze battle stars and a few other medals. He served even after the war, until the late 1950s I believe. I even have a photo of him, but to this day I do not know the unit he served in. My guess would be the 6th IN Field artillery, but I don't want to jump to conclusions.

Is there any way his unit can be found?

He lived in Fountain Springs PA all his life according to family history.

...I wish you luck with your search......and you're probably not gonna like this...but "please" often lubricates replies.

I could not find a reference to a Robert L Trautmann, but there is one Robert L. Troutman ASN: 13068232 listed;

Residence:
    Northumberland, Pennsylvania

Date of Enlistment:
    29 April 1942

Place of Enlistment:
    Harrisburg Pennsylvania

Component of the Army: Selectee

Nativity: American Indian, citizen

Year of Birth: 1921

Education: 1 year of high school

Civilian Occupation: Machine shop and related occupations

Marital Status: Separated, with dependents

If the picture you have of him is in uniform then please post, it might help.
    Last edited by BlackCat1982; 03-16-2020 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Edit

I will get the photo posted this afternoon.

Sgt. Major Robert Leo Troutman

This pictured was dated 1943. After re-reading the old family history book, I found he was born in Shamokin PA on 9/26/19, and died 5/13/72 in Woodbridge Virginia. He is buried in Fountain Springs PA.

Great picture, obviously not not the same person as the one I found. Sadly some records were lost in a fire at the National Archives and your photo gives little clue to his unit.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Great picture, obviously not not the same person as the one I found. Sadly some records were lost in a fire at the National Archives and your photo gives little clue to his unit.
    Rotten luck. Does an RA number help? What is an RA number anyway?

Quote by RustyRelics View Post
    Rotten luck. Does an RA number help? What is an RA number anyway?
    RA = Regular Army, which would refer to his component of the Army that he was enlisted in. The options are: RA Regular Army, ER Enlisted Reserves, or NG National Guard.

Best,

V/r Lance

RA indicates "Regular Army" This was a term used post WW2 for new enlistees and for those Soldiers who continued their service after WW2 where they just used the ASN (Army Service Number). During the Korean war the Army changed their system to include RA and then the Service number.. RA-123456.. ect..

I posted a link as a sticky and a tutorial on how to obtain records from the National Archives. You should try to apply for the records. They may have been lost in the fire but you could send a request anyway.

A Tutorial on how to search for US Service Members Records from the National Archives (NARA)

Another option to find more information about your family members service is the Veteran Administration. They may be able to pull a copy of his DD214 which may list his last unit of assignment.

Smitty

Here are some Newspapers articles about SGM Trautman.

Best,

V/r Lance

Sgt. Major Robert Leo TroutmanSgt. Major Robert Leo Troutman
    Sgt. Major Robert Leo TroutmanSgt. Major Robert Leo Troutman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast