Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Using Ancestry.com

Article about: This may be a stupid question but I have been a member of Ancestry.com for some time but whilst I can find the WWI UK Medal Index Cards I cannot for the life of me find a way into the actual

Default Using Ancestry.com

This may be a stupid question but I have been a member of Ancestry.com for some time but whilst I can find the WWI UK Medal Index Cards I cannot for the life of me find a way into the actual medal rolls.
    I know a few members here use the same website and I am sure I have seen medal rolls posted here. Am I going nuts? If the rolls are accessible could someone please point me in the right direction?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Under search/military you should see a link that says "Awards and Decorations" under that page you will see Featured data collections
    UK, British Army World War I Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920.

Thanks I was looking at that but for some reason I can only find the MIC and not the actual medal rolls. I'll look harder

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Mark I have found awards issued to my relatives through Ancestry, quite easy once you are used to it
    Ben

Glad to look for you if you like.

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    Glad to look for you if you like.
    Thanks, I appreciate that. I am a subscriber so I should be able to do it myself but I haven't used it in a while so I'm toiling a bit with navigation!

Regards

Mark

Found it, I just wasn't looking hard enough!

My problem now is that I have a 1914-15 trio in which the 14-15 Star was earned whilst he was serving as a Pte in The Cameron Highlanders whilst the War & Victory medals were earned as a Sjt in The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.
    The 14-15 Star is easily found but I am having to really dig to find the other two. The Star seems to be always listed alone whilst the others show as a pair which I can understand but so far I have looked at around six pages and not a single medal to the Argylls. I know this is impossible so I must be doing something wrong. Any ideas?

Regards
    Mark

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Found it, I just wasn't looking hard enough!

My problem now is that I have a 1914-15 trio in which the 14-15 Star was earned whilst he was serving as a Pte in The Cameron Highlanders whilst the War & Victory medals were earned as a Sjt in The Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.
    The 14-15 Star is easily found but I am having to really dig to find the other two. The Star seems to be always listed alone whilst the others show as a pair which I can understand but so far I have looked at around six pages and not a single medal to the Argylls. I know this is impossible so I must be doing something wrong. Any ideas?

Regards
    Mark
    This feels a bit like the blind leading the blind. But are you searching under the recipients name or the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders?

Quote by BlackCat1982 View Post
    This feels a bit like the blind leading the blind. But are you searching under the recipients name or the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders?
    Name and service number. Also tried both regiments but only the 14-15 Star with the Camerons has shown up so far.

On the star he is S-13284. PTE. A. MARSHALL. CAM'N HIGHRS.

On the other two he is 13284. SJT. A. MARSHALL. A.& S.HIGHRS.

The medals came as a trio and are 100% correct. There are however about 400 pages for the pair so maybe he is further on than I have looked

I'm busy digging and concreting in the garden at the moment as I have a rest day and good weather at the same time!!

I'll have another go later

Regards

Mark
    Last edited by Watchdog; 05-06-2022 at 12:44 PM. Reason: typo