Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 museum in New Orleans.

Article about: Hi folks, i will be visiting this in April next year has anyone on here been, any tips and advice would be fantastic, we are hoping to stay in the French quarter for 3 days, also any local s

Default WW2 museum in New Orleans.

Hi folks, i will be visiting this in April next year has anyone on here been, any tips and advice would be fantastic, we are hoping to stay in the French quarter for 3 days, also any local stores where i may find any military for sale would be great, first visit to the US really looking forward to it.
    Thanks.

TWS
    ?

I visited the museum just a couple months ago. Tip: it is huge. You probably won't be able to see all of the displays in one day, esp if you add on extras like the films, etc. Allow plenty of time. The cafe is actually pretty nice and makes for a good lunch break. One really neat thing is that they had two U.S. WWII veterans sitting at a table in the lobby with displays of mementos from their service. I really treasured the opportunity to chat with them for a bit. It won't be long before we have almost none of them left.

We stayed just outside the French Quarter - across Canal Street from it - to be close to the action but not in the midst of it so that we'd be kept up all night.

We were there only three jam-packed days eating, drinking, and touring the city, so unfortunately not time to hunt for militaria.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Last time I was there was nearly 10 years ago so they have added a lot since the. But I had the opportunity to go on the Behind the Lines Tour as a birthday present. It was Really good. Just as Todd said allow plenty of time to see everything I think I could spend a week or more in that place!! Any way I don’t know about military specific shops but I always go to antique shops/malls and usually find something. Good luck and have fun!

The museum is heavy on stories and light on artifacts - you will need time to see the films and presentations as noted. I will recommend two restaurants on Bourbon Street - Moran's and Jean Lafittes (sp?) above it. I did not see much militaria for sale while there but over three days you would be better served to see the city including one of the cemeteries, the riverboat tour and a host of other sites and museums regarding the city. NH

Thanks guys, guess i better tell the wife.

Just read Mr Clines violin is there too, great story behind this.