Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

3 Ton Half Track Part

Article about: Just got this cover plate for the 3 ton half track. From the look of the tread I think it is from a Sd.Kfz.251, the question is where from in the vehicle. It is either the rear crew section

Default 3 Ton Half Track Part

Just got this cover plate for the 3 ton half track. From the look of the tread I think it is from a Sd.Kfz.251, the question is where from in the vehicle. It is either the rear crew section floor or between the two front seats, I think the rear floor, but have not found any pictures to confirm.

Can anyone help with a picture of either area. The cover is 20cm square.

3 Ton Half Track Part3 Ton Half Track Part

?

It is the part that you lift up when you have to take a crap while the bullets are flying.

I knew he'd know.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

I think it's from the rear compartment floor. For instance, there's a photo on page 25 in Jentz/Doyle's 'Panzer Tracts' 15-2 ( the Sd Kfz 251 book ) and it's also visible in some of their scale plans.......

Thanks for the reply Martin.

There is also a picture in 'Nuts & Bolts' vol. 20, page 121, showing an Sd.Kfz.11 artillery body version with 2 square access panels missing in the rear compartment.

OK guys, I found the answer as to where it goes. It does indeed go in the rear compartment floor. I had a look through my copies of Sd.Kfz. 251 & 11 manuals and found a picture of it in D660/4, for the Sd.Kfz. 251, dated 15/5/43. It the access panel to the fuel tank filler cap, mystery solved.